Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumblebees - pollination - food chain

Default Bumblebees - pollination - food chain

Being a fan of bumblebees and the great work that I always knew they did for us I recently discovered http://www.bumblebeeconservationtrust.co.uk/

These great little workers are in danger of disappearing. A little reading on this website and others will show you exactly what they do, the danger they are facing and the end result - should that happen - to us.

These happy little workers are more than happy bumbling around in your garden whilst you work there too. Find one in your house banging against the window trying to get out? Don't squish it thinking it might sting you but try and let it outside. If opening a window isn't the answer try carefully placing a plastic cup or glass over the top, slide something like an envelope between the container and the glass then take the bumblee outside. Bumblee will be happier and so will you.
    Cool

Administrator

You know, I had absolutely no idea Bumble Bees played such an important role in our ecology. I'm glad to give them whatever support we can.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Are there ways of making a good environment for bees, so that they can flourish?

There certainly is...

http://www.bumblebeeconservationtrust.co.uk/

Lots of info on there. I joined and they sent me a pack including some seeds for plants that the bumblebee loves. Am waiting for a bumblebee day nearby so I can go.

I wrote this little rhyme in 1998

BUMBLEE BEE!

My name is Bumblee Bee, I'm as happy as can be,
    Bumbling around, off the ground, with a heart that's full of glee!
    I fly to a flower, tall as a tower, and take some pollen with me,
    No shops to buy from, banks to borrow from, everything here is free!

My body is squat, it's short and fat; Do I care? Not me!
    According to laws it shouldn't be, that I in fact am a flying bee,
    I can, you see, get off the ground, with a heart that is full of glee!

Warm is the sun, I'm full of fun, a cheery bumbling bee!
    I buzz and bumble, collect and return to my hive not far away,
    Bumbling around, come what may, and never a dollar in pay!

I'm not in a hurry, why should I worry, I'm flying as you can see!
    Next time you see me bumbling free, be happy like me a bumbling bee,
    Defying the laws that shouldn't be, to be in fact a bumblebee!

Bumblee (1998)
    Cool

Chatterbox

Thats very good, have you ever tried to get it published?

Buddleia is very common on railways now, bees and butterflies like it a lot, my nans garden is full of both during summer. I've never squished bees or any other fling insects if I can help it, and it's very rare they don't find their own way out if you open the window.
    Madhatter

Have had a couple of others published but never submitted that one. I have allowed the bumblebee conservation trust to use it if they wish to.

I think I know the plant you mean, with a lilac flower? It is so good that you make an effort not to squish bees if you can help it and you are very right, if you open a window they will usually buzz off on their merry way.
    Last edited by Shizara; 21-03-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Cool

Thank you! I am sure it will be very, very much appreciated. Many brush away the idea of trying to save the bumblebees without realizing the implications.

The rhyme finished up in their BuzzWord newsletter which is like a mini magazine with glossy pages. If it helps the cause am more than happy for them to use it.
    Cool

Well, I know they have had 2 large donations - one for about £50,000, another for about £28,000 but not sure of the amount from contributors, though am emailing them to ask.
    Cool

Action! Camera! - Even on the mobile.

Seeing this has reminded me to email them to update the thermometer and to make this year's donation. A great and worthy cause for a wonderful helper and often unappreciated friend of mankind.
    Cool

It looks like things are chugging along rather well along the financial front...

Thanks to the amazing support we've received from members, the general public and others (including the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Biodiversity Action Grants Scheme, SNH and Esmée Fairbairn), we continue to grow rapidly!
    This has to be a good thing. I think many fail to realize how these tiny buzzy creatures work so very hard for us and think nothing of squishing them if they have lost their way and finished up buzzing against a window or something.

Bumblebees need our help and even sowing a few cottage-garden plants and/or wildflowers in your garden is one small way of saying thank you to the bumblers that do so much for us.

Bumblebees in Crisis
    Cool

Big T

Default Bumble bee

Hi
    I have a nest of Bumble bees in the wall of my home. Unfortunatelly lately, I have seen four die in my garden. They seem unable to fly and tumble around on the lawn. Anyone any idea what could be the cause?

Tony

Pillar of the Community

Hello Tony- maybe if you click Shizara's link, there'll be info there or even someone on Bumblebee rescue duty. I know thier plight is dire and the societies for Bee Keepers are desperate to save them and encourage new hives. If you haven't already, give it a go.
    The Bumblebee Conservation Trust

This was meant to have been posted on The Bumblebee thread but I had a connection interruption as it was linking up. Sorry folks- Oh no- its alright. I'm just being stupid as usual. Ignore me. Its here where it should be.
    Last edited by Gladys; 25-07-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: computer connection problem -linked to another thread

With spring having a late arrival I wonder if anyone has told the bumble bees, although, hopefully they have been "informed" because I haven't seen any as yet.

I visited a National Trust property recently, in the hope of finding the bumblees, but the daffodils hadn't even made an appearance yet. Hopefully, a bit more of the warmer weather and we will see a glorious riot of spring colour

For those that view bumble bees as scary, buzzing things that sting, yes they *can* sting, BUT, the reality is they generally don't. All they want to do is go about their business amongst the flowers. They are more than happy to share the space with you. Don't wave your arms like a windmill, just stand and watch them work, or, if like me, you like to take photos, I often have the lense fairly close in the hope of getting just the right picture. They just carry on with their work and don't forget, they do a great job pollinating to enable us to have fruit and vegetables. They help pollinate flowers for next year's blooms. We need them and they need us to help them.

If you find a bumble bee nest in your garden, please, please, please don't be tempted to call the exterminators in. If it is at all possible to leave them in peace, please do, but if you really feel they must go please contact the society for advice on moving them to another area or having them moved in much the same way a bee keeper will come and collect bees from a property.
    Cool

The words of David Attenborough:

"Bumblebees are key factors in our wildlife. If they disappear many of our plants will not bear fruit. I am proud to be associated with the Bumblebee Conservation Trust"

Sir David Attenborough
    OM CH FRS. April 2009
    Cool

Something else that might be useful. This page is from the BumbleBee Conservation Trust website. You will find answers on that page to questions such as what to do if you find a nest of bumble bees:

http://www.bumblebeeconservation.org.uk/contact_us.htm
    Cool

No, but suggest you go to the Bumble Bee Conservation Trust website and if information isn't there, you will find a contact for them. - Have just spotted the date so it may very well be too late.
    Cool