Thread: £1 Million Makeover for Cemetary

Default £1 Million Makeover for Cemetary

Should be quite spectacular when the work's done: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...etery-12043138

cathidaw

Default Memories of the cemetery

I hope they dont transform this unique cemetery into a streamlined gravelly park type area, like they do nowadays.
    Truly it needs a tidy up and repairs done to it, but it must keep it's Victorian look. Afew years ago some of the lovely statues were removed for safety but if they weren't destroyed they could still be a feature.
    I have memories of taking a long short cuts to school and being late-also on Mondays picking out FLOWERS from the wire waste bins to take to school.
    I have often wondered if the teacher guessed where these little kids got the exotic blooms from.
    We often got lost too, even though we thought we knew our way about.
    There was a high bell by the halfway bridge which was rung at 5 oclock on Sundays to let people know the cemetery was closing.
    My brother pulled the bell rope one Sunday and watched people hurry out.He was caught by the gatekeeper who gave him clip round his head. He also reported him to my Dad-who gave him another and sent him to bed. Luckily I wasn't there that day or I'd have had one too.

I also-not too long ago- pointed out to Coventry council when they were having one of their half hearted tidy ups on the Mile Lane side that the workmen were taking out and scrapping the body snatcher railings. They-the council and workmen- were very apologetic and stopped immediately. it seems that no-one knew what they were.
    only a few metres are left but need to be preserved.I'll rIng them again now I've seen this..
    Last edited by cathidaw; 18-10-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Yes, I hope they do restore the cemetery to it's original state. Even though I don't know this particular one, I find cemeteries peaceful places, and enjoy just wondering around round reading the gravestones when I fancy a few quiet moments to myself.

Now maybe they'd like to tackle the quagmire that is Lenton's Lane cemetary?
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

That's not one I'm familiar with Rebbonk. I take it that it's in a bit of a state?

It floods and coffins have 'surfaced'. It was never suitable for the purpose it's being used for but the council wouldn't listen to those that knew the area.

Ah, a case of 'We know best'.

It was, Lex, and they have spent rather a lot of our money trying to correct what can't be corrected! But I guess councillors aren't often blessed with common sense.

I've met several of that type in the corporate world as well.

The nonconformist chapel is going to be converted into offices; a tactful & sensitive move, I feel(!): https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...urned-20483262

Harrabin is doing very well out of this type of thing.

Looks like the Noncomformist chapel is just being restored to its original state, with the help of a £215,000 grant: https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/...oration-grant/