Thread: £1 Million to Repair Potholes

Default £1 Million to Repair Potholes

A start, and the griping's begun: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...holes-11148393

rebbonk

Well, the holes that have been patched round by me haven't lasted, but the workmanship was disgraceful. - Another line where I think we're being taken for fools.

cathidaw

How many times have we seen this headline.I wonder where the money goes.
    I reported a 5" deep pothole in Keresley Village 3 weeks ago.This Wednesday I passed again.It looked as if they had filleD it with Gravel, which is now dispersed across the road.

I wonder how many potholes can be repaired properly with £1 million? It also begs the question.. Can you really repair a pothole so that it lasts more than 5 minutes with the hefty lorries and so forth rumbling over them?
    Cool

rebbonk

I have seen repairs work, but they have to be done properly and sealed afterwards. You can't just slop filler into a hole, tamp it down and hope for the best: which is what seems to happen locally.

cathidaw

Does anyone remember some years ago when contractors were brought from other parts of the country to help out with these road jobs.My road was done by a company from from Scotland Unfortunately the big tarring machine was left overnight outside my house.When it had gone it had left a deep hole about a foot wide.When I phoned ,someone came and drew a white circle around it. A week later it was filled in.
    Now about 8 years later it is as solid as ever--and the white circle is still there.

rebbonk

I remember when we imported gangs from the north to repair our roads. From memory, they didn't do a bad job.

I keep hearing all sorts of excuses for the state of our roads, and most of them are rubbish. If those that laid the roads were made responsible for them for x number of years, and the utilities that dug them up had to guarantee similar we'd have no issues at all. The Middle East uses a similar system and the roads I've seen out there are like billiard tables.

Dispensing with the local council clerk of works was a big mistake.

Whilst anything is welcome, it won't go far.

The big problem is that repairs (as we do them) simply don't last. - We're chasing our tales.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

£2.8 million is being handed out for pothole repairs. Unfortunately, most repairs I've seen recently involve a dollop of tarmac that look like they won't last 5 minutes: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...-enough-43971/

That's the problem, Lex. Pot holes need digging out and fixing properly. A blob of tarmac rolled into a hole doesn't last 5 minutes.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

It's typical of the public sector - why do it properly, whan you can make a really half ar**d effort.

We're being encouraged to report posholes, so the coincil can bodge even more repairs: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...roblems-44230/