Thread: ATM Skimming Warning

Default ATM Skimming Warning

rebbonk

This is becoming more of a problem. I don't use ATMs (I can never remember my PIN anyway) but some people aren't as lucky as me and can't afford the time to wait. To my mind the banks are to some extent complicit with this by reducing counter staff.

Interestingly, if funds are withdrawn by way of fraud, I believe that the bank, not the customer, is liable. - Obviously as long as the customer hasn't given his card/PIN number away. Something the banks don't always tell you.

I worked with the banking industry for a while, the number of fraudulent transactions (not just ATMs) is quite surprising. Of course, the banks don't really want you to know just how fragile their security is.

It's probably a case of Security=Expense=Reduction in Profits.

Before the Birmingham New Street Station was refurbished I used one of the money machines. Person in front of me did their transaction got their card back and cash. He walked away with a quizzical expression on his face but said nothing. So the reason could have been anything. I put my card in, keyed in an amount, it made the required noises, spat the card out and some money, except it was £60 short. I tried the phone number on the machine - no joy. I then went to Network Rail to report it. Someone came back with me, watched the next transaction and they too were shortchanged. They managed to contact the company concerned and I was given some instructions which included going to the bank concerned. First, they didn't appear to believe me and second I was sent to my own bank who sent me back to the original bank. ie passing the buck so to speak, but still, no one would act on it. I went back to Network Rail and asked about the log I thought they might have made that day. Surprissssse! - No log. I wouldn't let the matter drop and had a meeting with my bank to find a resolution. In the end they paid me but I believe the first bank should have been liable.
    Cool

rebbonk

This is one of the problems. You are always on the back-foot and it is always up to you to prove things. I've seen people have problems with direct debits, despite the guarantees.

I once deposited a sum of money in a bank on Friday afternoon. It was to pay my mortgage. Later the following week, I was advised by the bank that there were insufficient funds to cover my payment. After a lot of aggravation, I eventually obtained a statement from them of my account up to when they attempted to take the money out. My Friday deposit was declared, but on the Monday a 'correction' was carried out and a substantial sum removed. The bank was adamant that they were in the right and that they had made a mistake on my Friday deposit. I had a receipt, stamped by the cashier, they hadn't a leg to stand on. However, I had the devils' own game getting all my incurred fees back.

I trust banks about as far as I can throw them. It's a pain, but all my transactions, where possible, are done face to face over the counter.