Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 26 of 26

Thread: Another Tacky Tourist Attraction

  1. #17

    Default

    They usually have a funfair though , isn't it called a Mop. These Mop/fairs were new to me when I first moved this way. I wonder how fairs were given that name?
    Last edited by Finebyme; 06-06-2017 at 06:51 PM.

  2. #18
    Administrator Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I wonder when the rest of Blackpool pier's turning up: http://www.stratford-herald.com/68167-68167.html
    I've driven and walked past the wheel several times, at different times on different days. Hardly anyone seems to be using it.

  3. #19
    Administrator Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finebyme View Post
    They usually have a funfair though , isn't it called a Mop. These Mop/fairs were new to me when I first moved this way. I wonder how fairs were given that name?
    A bit of information for you, Finebyme:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair

    And a definition from the Online Etymology Dictionary:

    fair (n.) Look up fair at Dictionary.com
    "a stated market in a town or city; a regular meeting to buy, sell, or trade," early 14c., from Anglo-French feyre (late 13c.), from Old French feire, faire "fair, market; feast day," from Vulgar Latin *feria "holiday, market fair," from Latin feriae "religious festivals, holidays," related to festus "solemn, festive, joyous" (see feast (n.)).

  4. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    A bit of information for you, Finebyme:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair

    And a definition from the Online Etymology Dictionary:

    fair (n.) Look up fair at Dictionary.com
    "a stated market in a town or city; a regular meeting to buy, sell, or trade," early 14c., from Anglo-French feyre (late 13c.), from Old French feire, faire "fair, market; feast day," from Vulgar Latin *feria "holiday, market fair," from Latin feriae "religious festivals, holidays," related to festus "solemn, festive, joyous" (see feast (n.)).
    Thanks Lex, but I was wondering how these fairs became to be known as 'Mops'. Is it a Warwickshire thing?

  5. #21
    rebbonk
    Guest

  6. #22

    Default

    Thanks Rebbonk, that is fascinating, now I know the origins of the 'Mop' fairs.
    I never think of looking up Wiki.

  7. #23
    Administrator Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I've driven and walked past the wheel several times, at different times on different days. Hardly anyone seems to be using it.
    The wheel's packing up early: http://www.stratford-herald.com/7615...s-turning.html

    I'm not surprised - no-one ever seemed to use it, the company must have made a huge loss. Good riddance to the damn thing!

  8. #24
    Administrator Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    It sounds like the wheel wasn't a great success: the financial return was summed up as “all right to profitable – at times.”

    http://www.stratford-herald.com/7669...stratford.html

  9. #25
    rebbonk
    Guest

    Default

    If it was making money it'd still be there.

  10. #26
    Administrator Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    I walked past the wheel several times when it was there, and the people manning it looked bored out of their heads.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •