Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Housing Develpoment in Warwickshire

Yes, drag racing still happens there. I don't know if the museum's still there - it's not well advertised if it is!! (There's an aircraft museum at Wellesbourne airfield which is open most Sundays; I've never been, but there's loads of interesting aircraft there, plus you can look around/in the Vulcan occasionally)

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    plus you can look around/in the Vulcan occasionally)
    I spent my early working life on them, I can usually tell the guides more than they can tell me.

I went round the Wellesbourne museum a few years back. There were some interesting artifacts there, but the guide spoiled things by his lack of knowledge.

Plans for the redevelopment of the old Maison bar have been made public. Frankly, it is the UGLIEST building I have ever seen. Unfortunately, the Stratford Herald hasn't published the picture on their website, but if you can get a copy of this week's paper you'll see what I mean (think upturned bolt/impressionist dog turd).

http://www.stratford-herald.com/4481...nightclub.html

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    That (at least on the surface) is good news.

Much of the brownfield land around Coventry is contaminated and clean-up costs are quite high, that's why it is often unattractive to developers.

However, (and if you buy brownfield it is worth bearing in mind,) should contamination come to light at a later date, the land owner (you!) will likely be liable for the clean-up costs. Many estates that were put up on former tips etc. are a ticking timebomb as the containers that held unpleasant chemicals start to decay and allow their deadly content to seep out and pollute watercourses etc.
    It can ,in some instances depending upon the history of a brownfield site, cost twice or three times the cost of developing a greenfield site.

rebbonk

Objections have been raised, largely due to traffic congestion. I wonder if the planning will take this into consideration?

I recently objected to a development of 7 'flats' because of traffic issues. My complaint was upheld and the development cut back to 4 'flats'. I hope the locals have a similar success.

Hopefully, any comments will be listened to, but all our local councils have been told to build x,000 more houses.

On the other hand, this might actually be turned down: http://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/new...ugby-1-7094646

rebbonk

900 homes is one Hell of a lot!

From how I've read the report, it's not the amount of housing but the extra traffic...

rebbonk

900 homes will create a lot of traffic.

We've just had a new estate put up by us. It isn't yet complete (or remotely properly occupied) but the extra traffic is already noticeable.

Many homes these days have both husband and wife working and two cars! Cars take up space on the road!

First Time I've heard of Chris Saint's 'Local Choice' initiative: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...operty-ladder/

rebbonk

It's the same in many areas Lex.

I think we need to look after locals and provide them with affordable housing. Sadly, too many worship the little God of money, and we all suffer for it.

Another planning application tied up going through hoops: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...esley-10670476

rebbonk

I know that area quite well. My bet is that the secretary of state will approve it. Green belts were there for a purpose, but it seems that economics is running wild. It will all come crashing down (again) and those at the bottom will get badly burned (again!).

In understand the need for development, but at the end of the day, the green belt is there for a reason.