Thread: Don't kill our bees! Immediately halt the use of Neonicotinoids on crops

Default Don't kill our bees! Immediately halt the use of Neonicotinoids on crops

If you haven't already, please give consideration to signing this petition:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104796
    Cool

rebbonk

The rest of the EU have banned these pesticides, why haven't we followed suit? Surely the fact that we're using such chemicals will render our produce unsaleable outside of the UK? What are the long-term health risks to our population?

And of course, let's not forget that these pesticides may well have further unintended consequences if the bee population doesn't recover or the pesticide sets off an unforseen chain reaction.

I had already signed Shizara, but I doubt it'll do much good.

I really get a bee in my bonnet over pesticides and herbicides. It rankles that Monsanto who manufacture Roundup also have Roundup ready soya bean. The idea being you plant the beans, when everything grows - including the weeds then you spray the lot with ROUNDUP and the weeds die. The soya is modified to not die. Surely, in the same way the plant absorbs nutrients and water it absorbs the chemical and in turn so do we. How is this morally right?
    Cool

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Shizara View Post
    How is this morally right?
    It isn't.

But what we're seeing is the rise of the corporation, and they can afford to beat us at every turn. They have the funds, they can buy everything! - Courts, politicians etc. I honestly fear for the future; maybe not so much for mine, but certainly for my kids'.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    The rest of the EU have banned these pesticides, why haven't we followed suit? Surely the fact that we're using such chemicals will render our produce unsaleable outside of the UK? What are the long-term health risks to our population?
    Basically, the British farming/landowning community is a big supporter of the Conservative Party, which already sees lots of votes to be gained by taking a euroskeptic stance. Who do you think the government's going to listen to?