Thread: Coventry city centre's landmark Co-op store to close in October

rebbonk

Default Coventry city centre's landmark Co-op store to close in October

The huge Corporation Street shop has been bought by EDG Property, best known for major developments including The Cube in Birmingham.

Bosses said the store - one of the city’s biggest and longest established - will shut on October 24, explaining the retail environment had become “increasingly challenging”.

It has served generations of city shoppers for more than half a century and is loved by many for its legendary Santa’s sleigh ride which has been running at Corporation St since 1954.
    Local rag

I remember many a ride on that sleigh as a kiddie. In fact, I think my mum still has a picture of me about 3 years old with Santa.

A sad loss to the city in my opinion, but an even greater loss to society in general the way the Co-operative movement is declining.

I've never been to the Coventry co-op (never had a reason to), but it'll be another reason for the locals not to travel into the city centre.

Something about this seems suspect to me. Why would the developer take the building on if it can't make a profit on it paying rent at market rates? Why is the city council only charging £1 for a 250 year lease?

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...co-op-13332392