Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The immigration saga

rebbonk

After I stopped laughing....

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls has warned that Europe's migration crisis is putting the EU at grave risk.

Mr Valls told the BBC Europe could not take all the refugees fleeing what he called terrible wars in Iraq or Syria.

"Otherwise," he said, "our societies will be totally destabilised."
    BBC

Bl**dy muppet! What woke him out of his slumbers?

Now, what will we do about it?

Frankly, this is a problem the major powers created at the end of the Great War (think I've posted similar elsewhere on WOL) by drawing arbitrary lines across a map of the Middle East, and clumsily trying to play people against each other. This suggestion will have a lot of people gasping, and shouting 'You can't do that', but maybe those arbitrary lines should be redrawn along ethnic/sectarian lines, and the people of these new states told to stop bothering each other & concentrate on selling oil and gas to us westerners.

I went to a presentation by the Children's Society this evening. There were 2 teenagers from Syria talking about their experiences in Damascus - rationed & expensive food, little water and electricity etc. I was amazed at their resilience, what they & their parents had to do to to get them to safety, and their determination to make good lives for themselves now they're in the UK.

They certainly put my life in perspective.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    They certainly put my life in perspective.
    Absolutely! In many respects we don't know we've been born. But that doesn't mean that we ought open our borders up to all and sundry. The best way we can assist is to help sort things in these countries. - And I don't think that bombing the Hell out of them is the right way.

Genuine refugees need and deserve help, but chancers are a different matter as Germany is now seeing to her cost. Cameron's stance on only taking people direct from refugee camps is one of the few things he's done that I approve of.

rebbonk

‘Trump is right!’ Police say parts of Britain ARE no-go areas due to ISIS radicalisation

Serving officers in terrorist hotspots including London and Birmingham said that forces are becoming increasingly nervy over the rising threat of Islamic State (ISIS) inspired attacks, with some telling staff not to wear their uniforms in their OWN patrol cars.

One officer in London said the firebrand presidential hopeful was “pointing out something plainly obvious” whilst another in Lancashire said the police have to ask local Muslim leaders for PERMISSION before sending patrols into their communities.
    Express

Some of us have known this for a long time. It's time the politicians got out of their nicely cossetted little worlds and went out and saw reality: without their bodyguards!

rebbonk

Right, they can all go home now....

MUNICH - Major powers agreed on Friday to a cessation of hostilities in Syria set to begin in a week and to provide rapid humanitarian access to besieged Syrian towns, but failed to secure a complete ceasefire or an end to Russian bombing.
    Reuters

Yes they can, because the whole saga will be sorted out by this time next week. (Can you tell I'm in one of my cynical moods tonight)

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Looks like the first batch of refugees will be in by Christmas: http://www.warwickcourier.co.uk/news...#axzz3qji4ofdj
    This didn't happen after all, and Offa House is being put up for sale by Coventry Diocese: http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/n...gees-1-7730189

rebbonk

I suspect that it didn't happen was more down to good luck than anything else. Sadly, we're still taking these 'refugees' at an alarming rate, despite what the MSM are telling us.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 12-12-2016 at 04:25 PM.

A group of suspected illegal immigrants have been caught, but it's just a drop in the ocean: http://www.stratford-herald.com/6568...lesbourne.html