Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The immigration saga

cathidaw

Around 400 villages are up for sale in Spain's northern Galicia, some of which are being offered for free.

The villages come with verdant settings, including bread-making hearths, barns and stone and wood granaries used until a decade ago, when the villages had a decent population.

"This is as near as paradise as I can think of," says Mark Adkinson, who founded the Galician Country Homes real estate firm and has recently begun marketing abandoned villages.

This northwestern region of the country is plagued with a shrinking population, resulting in some mayors selling the villages for free to anyone who can repopulate it by bringing people back, more importantly, the youth.
    Yahoo News................................

Pity the poor expats when this lot move in.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 12-08-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling

cathidaw

Today I came back from Birmingham hospital along M6.I saw a lorry with one back door open, the driver in the cab having a smoke.A little way along we passed 3 men walking.The ambulance driver said he sees this often.If a driver suspects he has immigrants, he stops and opens the doors to let them out and jumps back in the cab,locking himself in.When they are far enough away he shuts the rear doors and sets off to avoid a fine.
    I wonder how far they got? I think they'd be somewhere near about Corley Service Station by now.

rebbonk

The police ought be picking up walkers along the M6. The problem is if they do pick these people up they take them as far as the nearest safe release and tell them to report to an immigration centre. - Of course they'll do that!

What we ought be doing is holding and processing all of these immigrants in an off shore centre where things aren't too comfortable. We ought also take our time doing it. Are there any disused military bases in the outer Hebrides?

rebbonk

I offer up a post taken from another site I use...

Whilst I'll accept the propaganda element to a certain extent, I really do think a valid poinbt is being made.

cathidaw

I don't know what the answer is to this phenominum.The problem is too big and world wide.
    I make fun, and outrageous remarks- but these are all humans who want a better life. It has been left too long and every country is dithering.all governments are useless.When they all get together to discuss it properly, they end up sniping at each other and get nowhere.
    Playing the martyrs about who's taken the most in.
    AND-how on earth can Greece with all their problems be expected to afford the number of people arriving, when their own people are suffering

rebbonk

It is a big problem, but wouldn't it be better to sort out the problems in the countries that they are fleeing from?

Many of these countries are ex-colonies and were left in quite a decent state with fully functioning infrastructures and systems in place for the future. We could quite easily topple these corrupt regimes, but what rises up afterwards? And lets be quite honest here, many of the peoples of these ex-colonies are predisposed to laziness. Haven't we made a rod for our own backs with aid? If a problem occurs, these people sit around waiting for the aid to arrive rather than get on sorting the problems out for themselves.

I can't help feeling that if these 'refugees' put as much effort into sorting out there own countries as they have getting as far as Calais they might be doing the right thing.

I have a similar point of view Rebbonk. If we can make economic conditions better in these countries, the populations wouldn't feel the need to find better lives in the 1st World. However, this is a long-term solution (I'm talking decades), and global leaders (1st, 2nd & 3rd world) don't seem able to see beyond the weekend.

Basically, we need to find a way of managing (note my use of wording there!) migration in the short to medium term, whilst working towards decent standards of living (everyone being a billionaire is not a realistic aim) around the world, whilst avoiding b*****ing the planet up and bringing civilization down through pure self-interested economics.

cathidaw

No mount of money sent to our ex Colonial countries would solve the problem.We left them with good infrastructure and well organised systems--and money.And look what happened.The people in office did what they liked when they thought of the money, and as my Dad used to say''They saw the money and rubbed their collective hands thinking,'its all ours' -forgetting the people" and mark my words there'll be trouble." how true.They weren't trained enough to deal with it. So now the regime is on it's last legs.It must be such a disparingly harsh regime if all these thousands are risking their own and childrens' lives to get out.
    They -the government officials of any of these countries don't seen the brightest bunch to negotiate political things.Afraid of losing their riches.
    I don't know what the answer is.
    If we took our aid away more people who cant afford money to migrate will die.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 15-08-2015 at 01:11 AM.

rebbonk

Now this looks to be an interesting development...

Migrants crisis: Slovakia 'will only accept Christians'

Slovakia says it will only accept Christians when it takes in Syrian refugees under a EU relocation scheme.

The country is due to receive 200 people from camps in Turkey, Italy and Greece under the EU plan to resettle 40,000 new arrivals.

Interior ministry spokesman Ivan Metik said Muslims would not be accepted because they would not feel at home.
    BBC

I reckon that's going to put the cat among the pigeons somewhat!

rebbonk

Words fail me. Am I the only one to think that May is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard?

How she got the job (and how she keeps it) is a mystery to me.

Britain is to pay for migrants to be flown from Calais to their home countries and help fund "dedicated facilities" for those having their asylum claims processed as part of a multi-million pound package, Theresa May has announced.
    Telegraph

rebbonk

Macedonia...

Thousands Of Migrants Storm Past Police Lines

Several thousand people - many fleeing wars in Syria and Iraq - storm past barbed wire fences and into the Balkan country.
    SKY news

So what's wrong with staying in Greece? Greece is a safe country isn't it?

I see things beginning to escalate from a civil order point of view. I reckon some of these illegal immigrants will rue the day!

5 immigrants have been caught in Stratford: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...tratford-7891/

rebbonk

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they're interviewed.

Bottom line, they're here and we'll likely be picking up the bill for them for the next 60 odd years

rebbonk

I see that some 'refugees' in Macedonia have refused parcels as they're from Christians. I wonder will they also refuse Christian financial support and Christian built housing? - This isn't going to end well!

Meanwhile, in Germany things seem to be warming up a little...
    Police in Germany say a school sports hall intended as a temporary shelter for asylum seekers has burned down in a suspected arson attack.

Investigators believe the fire in Nauen, west of Berlin, was started deliberately. No-one was injured.

Far-right protesters have demonstrated against asylum seekers in the area.
    BBC

I really do fear for the future. Surely, even those that don't oppose immigration must see that Europe cannot absorb such quantities at this rate without there being 'consequences'?

rebbonk

Looks like Merkel has dropped a clanger...

Merkel calls in the army: 'Generous' Germany faces migrant chaos as troops put on alert
    GERMANY has put 4,000 troops on standby as the country buckles under the pressure of the record-breaking number of migrants arriving in the country.
    Express

What did the stupid woman really expect?

Meanwhile over the border in Hungary...

Hungary calls in the Army: Soldiers given shock powers to use rubber bullets on migrants
    CHAOS has erupted in Hungary after thousands of army soldiers assembled at the Hungarian borders as the Government gave them power to use rubber bullets and tear gas on migrants.
    Express

Oh dear, people are beginning to wake up to reality. Let's just hope it isn't too late, but I predict a lot of violent trouble over the coming months...

A fairly standard non-answer from a couple of our local councils: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...e-crisis-8256/
    Last edited by Lex; 14-09-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling