Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coventry to Join "Greater Birmingham Council"

rebbonk

The whole thing stinks.

To me it amounts to malfeasance in public office. We elect these people to represent us and to look after our interests. So far all local polls have indicated that the electorate don't want this, hence we are not being represented.

Further, my understanding is that this hangs on us having an elected mayor (like London). Coventry voted against this a while back.

I really hope that we do find a knight in shining armour who will pursue this sham of democracy through the courts.

Hopefully, WCC voting against the idea has put a bit of a spanner in the works. As far as I understand from what I've read, ALL the councils in Warwichshire have to agree to agree to this (County & District/Borough) before the county joins the Greater Brum Council.
    I can only think that Chris Saint (haha) of Stratford DC is looking to use the position of 'observer' on the new authority for his own personal advantage.

rebbonk

.... is looking to use the position ... on the new authority for his own personal advantage.
    I honestly think that that is the case all round. I've yet to see a Councillor not in it for what they can get out for themselves. I think I mentioned it on here before that I was reliably told that if I thought corruption in Parliament was rife, I ought take a close look at local government!

Whilst it's often difficult to prove, 'sweet' deals do go on and money does change hands. As an apprentice I worked with a local Councillor, and he was living far better than his day job would pay. - And I would suggest he was one of the more honest ones!

More recently, I employed a Councillor on contract. He was rarely ever at work, yet still drove a fancy car, dressed in very sharp suits and generally lived the good life.

OK, I don't know the full facts of their personal finances, but I'd take a bl**dy good guess that their money wasn't inherited.

Nuneaton's signing up. This could be a good move for them economywise, but there's always the chance of just being swallowed up by the other councils: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-34276817

rebbonk

Harvey will live to regret it. He also ought be holding a local referendum.

I'd rather be the poor relation to Warwickshire than the poor relation to Birmingham!

If this kind of thing has to happen, I'd rather join up with councils in Worcestershire than join up with Btum & the Black Country. I can't shift the feeling Chris Saint is up to something, though: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...councils-8405/

rebbonk

The thing is, true alternatives are not being given. We are being railroaded into this scheme whereby we become part of a bigger authority with an elected mayor.

Given the choice, I'd rather stick with the system we've got - we've already got 5 layers of government going all the way up to Europe, and that's plenty!

rebbonk

Well Lex, there's ever more pigs wanting access to the trough so they create a few more troughs!

Stratford DC has voted against 'non-continuant membership' of WMCA. I feel this leaves a lot of scope for SDC 'to work with WMCA', to the benefit of certain people, but not the general population of south Warwickshire: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...vitation-9024/

rebbonk

They've made the right decision.

Coventry has signed up to... Well, we really don't know do we? Who in their right mind will sign up to an unknown?

Lucas and her rabble will pay dearly for the betrayal that they have foisted on the citizens of Coventry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Stratford DC has voted against 'non-continuant membership' of WMCA. I feel this leaves a lot of scope for SDC 'to work with WMCA', to the benefit of certain people, but not the general population of south Warwickshire: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...vitation-9024/
    It looks like SDC has given into the temptation of money; shame about the estates full of Birmingham's overspill that'll no doubt go with it: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...ned-authority/

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I honestly think that that is the case all round. I've yet to see a Councillor not in it for what they can get out for themselves. I think I mentioned it on here before that I was reliably told that if I thought corruption in Parliament was rife, I ought take a close look at local government!

Whilst it's often difficult to prove, 'sweet' deals do go on and money does change hands. As an apprentice I worked with a local Councillor, and he was living far better than his day job would pay. - And I would suggest he was one of the more honest ones!

More recently, I employed a Councillor on contract. He was rarely ever at work, yet still drove a fancy car, dressed in very sharp suits and generally lived the good life.

OK, I don't know the full facts of their personal finances, but I'd take a bl**dy good guess that their money wasn't inherited.
    Wish I'd been there when my friend who is 90 had a visit from an English Heritage official, accompanied by a local councillor. Both in their work suits and shiny shoes. Luckily they left the car on the road.
    It had been raining and the horses in the field had churned it up a bit -well, a lot. As they walked and slithered to the building half way up to their shins in mud,(her in her wellies) she said, "I bet you're used to this aren't you?"and offered to hose down their shoes.
    They smiled with gritted teeth as she sympathised and couldn't wait to get back to their cosy offices. She gave them a bundle of bin bags to take back to their posh car, and went back to her own office, had a good laugh with the others and made herself a cup of tea.. She said she thought they'd come for a 'jolly'
    What a shock to the sort of people who never do a proper day's work.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 25-01-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Looks like WCC is joining after all: http://www.warwickcourier.co.uk/news...alks-1-7376931

rebbonk

And Coventry's new leader has ruled out a local referendum. We've been stitched up like a kipper.