Thread: Coventry Teenagers Arrested Over Suspected Terror Offences

Default Coventry Teenagers Arrested Over Suspected Terror Offences

This comes ever closer to home: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32393956

rebbonk

How do you stop the folly of youth?

At one time these stories would make me angry and I'd want to see people locked up. But really, just who is at fault here? The teens involved have done what they believed in, but as teens they are incredibly naive, and think they know it all when they really know so very little. Let's face it, most adults don't understand the reality of what's going on in Syria and the surrounding area.

The point in that article that does rub me the wrong way though, is the guy arrested for raising money for terrorists. It was very common in Coventry during the 70's for money to be raised for the IRA. I'm not aware of anyone being arrested for it though.

A lot of these kids do seem to have been manipulated into doing stupid things like this. Sadly, their parents seem completely oblivious to what their children are doing a lot of the time, or even pick up on any behavioral changes.

rebbonk

I think the parenting skills in this country leave a lot to be desired.

Far too many parents are prepared to simply plonk the kids down with a computer whilst they get on watch soaps, reality TV, football, etc. Then they wonder why the kids access the dark underbelly of the internet.

Of course, when it all goes belly up as it's bound to, we have a media frenzy and calls for internet control and censorship. - Playing right into the politicians hands!