Thread: Morrisons to Close

Default Morrisons to Close

A shame for the people who work there: http://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/new...lose-1-6536382
    Last edited by Lex; 22-01-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Margaret

Lex, the Leamington one isn't doing well either. It's just in the wrong area really.

How's that?

Margaret

It's right near the Shires, and its off a busy road, its designed really for motorists, I can't get a direct bus there.
    I think most people go past Morrisons and go to the Shires. Anyway, the store looks like a NAAFI store.

rebbonk

This is really interesting.

When Morrisons first announced that they were opening locally, many of the local supermarkets really got the hump saying that there was no way they could compete with them on price. Many local people were saying how much cheaper that Morrisons would be and that the established supermarkets could get lost.

So have Lidl and Aldi managed to do so much damage or is something else behind their lack of performance?

cathidaw

Aldi has made a big difference here in Bedworth.Tesco pulled down their big store here -only 20-odd years old.They bought a quarter of Bedworth to build another with more car park than shop. During the building of this new store , Tesco's customers used Aldi--for the time being Tesco said---they never went back,and Aldi is always packed.
    Once more I believe our town-- what's left of it will be on a downer if Tesco shuts. Homebase is closing soon.
    How can a small town survive on charity shops and banks.The market is iffy too., and all of the small shops have gone.

rebbonk

I haven't been to Bedworth for a long time Cathidaw, but I used to shop regularly there. It started going downhill and we moved on elsewhere to do our weekly shopping.

Cities and towns cannot survive on shops alone, we need something to create wealth, not just circulate the coins we have. Coventry (amongst many others) seems to miss that point.

cathidaw

No-one comes to Bedworth to do serious shopping. It's a joke.
    OK if you want food there is Tesco-Aldi and Iceland, which you can get anywhere.
    Come to see what the planners, who came and went over the years, have done here, then moved on to play havoc in another town.
    We have one clothes shop -The usual cheap market stuff- no shoe shops- no baby shops-no ironmongers, in fact nothing of use except the best 'celebration cakes' shop in the country. I'm always surprised to see it still there-but they are always full and people come from many miles away. So yes I have found an asset-Hmmm!
    At present I use Aldi as I can park outside the door and don't have to walk far.When I am able again I shall go further afield.
    I shall be offline for 2 weeks or so after February 5th. My op is on that day at the Royal Orthopaedic in Birmingham. I'll not be able to drive for 7 months so shall shop online for a time.
    Thank goodness for the internet--and WOL.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 23-01-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Margaret

Hope everything goes well with your op Cathidaw, keep us updated.