Thread: Pump Room Gardens

Default Pump Room Gardens

Margaret

It is an attractive open space area and I think it is should be left as it is. People enjoy sunning themselves and play games in the summer, and the open space is used for music festivals and markets.

I'd like to know exactly what they mean by revamping/vandalizing the area.
    Last edited by Margaret; 22-11-2014 at 08:31 AM.

I hope they don't make a mess of it, like the designers did to the Bancroft gardens in Stratford.

Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I hope they don't make a mess of it, like the designers did to the Bancroft gardens in Stratford.

Exactly my thoughts Lex, I'm still sore about what they did to Bancroft gardens. That big metal bridge they put up is an eyesore, they destroyed that lovely old stone and wood bridge that was there was built prisoners and was opened by the Queen Mother in the early 60's, and it was destroyed by the vandals at the RSC's bidding. It is interesting to note that there seems to have been a big falling out between most of the people of Stratford and the RSC, because people are angry that the RSC has been allowed to vandalize part of the established environment that people enjoyed so much. Anyway enough from me, we can't turn back the clock.
    Last edited by Margaret; 23-11-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Unfortunately, Stratford District Council has been at the bidding of the tourist industry and Tony Bird (a local developer) for years, and has blatantly ignored the needs, wants & wishes of locals and residents.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    ...blatantly ignored the needs, wants & wishes of locals and residents.
    I think that is true about most councils. I often remind these high handed councillors that they were elected to represent the people and that they can easily be removed come the next election.

Sadly, most people don't bother to vote (18% turn out in one Coventry ward last year!) so really the people get what they deserve.

I've only ever come across 2 councilors who seem to actually care about their voters - Ian & Jenny Fradgley, both Lib Dem councilors in Stratford. They actually make an effort to engage with their constituents, to the point they're often seen in local pubs talking to the locals. For that, they've both had my vote for the last few elections.

There're now also plans to redevelop the Pump Rooms (even though they redeveloped less then 20 years ago), and the neighbouring area across the river: http://www.leamingtonobserver.co.uk/...ns-121951.html

There have been several attempts to increase the popularity of the southern end of The Parade over the years, none of which have been successful (eg. the shopping centre that's now a Premier Inn)

cathidaw

I've come to the conclusion that these poor councilors must have nightmares, knowing that there may be an open space which is not built upon.
    Look at Coventry, it must have been worse for them..all those old buildings to get rid of--they must go...and roads which actually go somewhere...block them off. Their only pleasure is creating unusual and useless one way systems.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 01-12-2014 at 04:21 PM.

rebbonk

If a'holes could fly, Coventry Council house would be an airport! (Sorry about being coarse, but it's true!)

Coventry (with its pathetically low voter turn out) has, in all fairness, got the inept and useless council that it deserves. Who knows what might be possible if we actually got a council that had a few brain cells between them and actually represented the people that elect them...

WDC had been given a huge grant to do the work. I look forward to see how the gardens turn out: http://www.warwickcourier.co.uk/news...head-1-7160595