Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how I miss the old WOL

cathidaw

Default how I miss the old WOL

How I miss the old W O L.
    I tell my friends about it but they don't find it interesting. Mostly men stuff and too many downloads to click on.
    I've just scanned down to see what appeals to women, and there's not much. I m interested in most things including politics so I can disagree with all 3 or 4 of you if I like -even though I rarely get any feedback.
    I wouldn't be upset if you didn't agree with me-at least I'd know someone reads what I write.
    How can we advertise to get more people interested?

I know people read it as I have had new members for a photographic club and my art class from WOL.
    Funnily enough its women who see it and tell their husbands. ( It's women trying to get husbands out of the way now they have retired)

How about me trying to get a free ad in the Telegraph? or are you all happy enough.

I have been intermittent over the past 2 years due to health issues which have been resolved. I used to download a lot of the old WOL stories we wrote ,in the days of Gladys, Shizara Marie and a few others, which was fun and makes an interesting read.

PS I'm not leaving 'til I'm pushed.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 28-12-2016 at 12:24 AM.

Cathidaw, I agree there is not much interaction, but not everyone is interested in the story thread or politics, And I don't think men are as motivated as women discussing things on the internet, unless perhaps , its about motorbikes, cars, fishing, football, which all bores the pants off me.

rebbonk

I think one of the biggest issues is that things like facebook have largely taken over from these boards. Whilst I do use F/B I'm not really a big fan, but I do see the attractions. - Easy picture uploads/viewing, ease of seeing just who has posted etc.

Sadly, many bulletin board based forums are dying.

My missus is exactly as you say Cathidaw, "go and find yourself something to do, get from under my feet!" So much so that I've recently thought about starting a small business.

I'm not sure if the Telegraph would play ball with you. They try to encourage discussion on their own pages, though they don't like it when you criticise them. - I've had several comments removed after I extracted the urine at their very poor reporting standards. - But any call that way will have to come from Lex.

The bottom line is, like any 'club' we're only as strong as our members. The only way we will grow again (and I'm not sure WOL was ever that big) is to encourage fresh blood. Political discussions will often frighten people away (we're all experts aren't we?), immigration discussion will often attract real extremes (both ways), male discussion turns the ladies off and female discussion turns the blokes off. It really is difficult striking the right balance.

Just an aside, have you tried mumsnet or gransnet? Whilst there are some extremely interesting discussions going on there, mumsnet terrifies the life out of me.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Promoting WOL is something I've not been able to devote much thought to.
    I like your suggestion of an ad in the Telegraph Cathi; is it something that can be easily done?
    As for a wider range of forum topics, I'm more than happy for everyone to start threads on whichever topics you choose; I can set new forums up very easily as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. Promoting WOL is something I've not been able to devote much thought to.
    I like your suggestion of an ad in the Telegraph Cathi; is it something that can be easily done?
    As for a wider range of forum topics, I'm more than happy for everyone to start threads on whichever topics you choose; I can set new forums up very easily as well.

I think you do pretty good when time permits. I like to keep informed whats going on locally and newsy stuff. Keep the forum going.

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I think one of the biggest issues is that things like facebook have largely taken over from these boards. Whilst I do use F/B I'm not really a big fan, but I do see the attractions. - Easy picture uploads/viewing, ease of seeing just who has posted etc.

Sadly, many bulletin board based forums are dying.

My missus is exactly as you say Cathidaw, "go and find yourself something to do, get from under my feet!" So much so that I've recently thought about starting a small business.

I'm not sure if the Telegraph would play ball with you. They try to encourage discussion on their own pages, though they don't like it when you criticise them. - I've had several comments removed after I extracted the urine at their very poor reporting standards. - But any call that way will have to come from Lex.

The bottom line is, like any 'club' we're only as strong as our members. The only way we will grow again (and I'm not sure WOL was ever that big) is to encourage fresh blood. Political discussions will often frighten people away (we're all experts aren't we?), immigration discussion will often attract real extremes (both ways), male discussion turns the ladies off and female discussion turns the blokes off. It really is difficult striking the right balance.

Just an aside, have you tried mumsnet or gransnet? Whilst there are some extremely interesting discussions going on there, mumsnet terrifies the life out of me.

Mums net or grans net rebbonk?..how dare you! just the title puts me off.
    Reminds me of knitting, and men in cardigans,
    I shall persevere with the Telegraph--they help me a lot with free ads.

...and beige.Don't wear beige -at any age.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 29-12-2016 at 01:24 AM.

cathidaw

Hi rebbonk,
    I had a business for 35 years-the best art and craft shop in the midlands.I sold and sort of retired in 2004. I work from home which suits me perfectly but lately, now I can almost walk again, I'm hankering after a shop or unit something.It is easier now to do it,I know people who work from sheds and things-wheeling and dealing or making things.The government helps now too.
    A friend of mine makes beautiful little boxes from special card and has an order book for all over the world. She started with an ebay shop
    Another makes feather flowers--who would think there'd be a call for them-I haven't seen many around except at weddings.
    The only disadvantage with a shop is that you have to be there every day and I've got lazy..
    I have 2 friends with ebay shops too.
    Now he has retired early my son in law has set up a special gin bar in a beautiful converted horse box in Cornwall. in the town near a beach.who'd have thought so many people like gin.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 02-01-2017 at 11:32 PM.

cathidaw

Hi rebbonk,
    We had a business for 35 years-the best art and craft shop in the midlands.I sold and sort of retired in 2004. I work from home which suits me perfectly but lately I'm hankering after a shop or unit something.It is easier now to do it,I know people who work from sheds and things-wheeling and dealing or making things.The government will give help too..
    A friend of mine makes beautiful little boxes from special card and has an order book for all over the world.
    Another makes feather flowers--who would think there'd be a call for them-I havent seen many.
    The only disadvantage with a shop is that you have to be there every day.and I've got lazy
    I have 2 friends with ebay shops too.
    My son in law took early retirement and has set up a successful gin bar in a converted horse box in Cornwall.in the town near a beach.
    Go for it!

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    Mums net or grans net rebbonk?..how dare you! just the title puts me off.
    Reminds me of knitting, and men in cardigans
    That really made me smile. In seriousness, take a look, you might be very surprised. I came across them via a military site I use. I didn't believe the topics that were being quoted so I had to go and look.

rebbonk

Cathidaw,

I currently do quite a lot of writing, I do sell some, but I'd hate to have to work to deadlines.

I've looked at moped restoration, but there seems so little money in it. If I'm going to work, I'm not going to work for peanuts.

For many years I ran an electronics repair lab. I love that type of work and it can be profitable, but my eyes are perhaps not up to it these days. So I'm currently wondering about computers. I see a big market, entry to the market is low cost, and in general it isn't hard work. My only reservation here would be would I get bored after seeing the same fault for the tenth time? - I did quite a bit of work sorting out computer issues after people had switched to Virgin a few years back, but the fault was usually the same. After selling the same solution over and over, I never want to see another dongle again.

I've also done a lot of business consultancy in the past. Again, it's enjoyable, but it can be very hard work. - Company owners don't like being told where they're going wrong by outsiders.

I'll keep looking and dipping my toe in here and there, something will eventually turn up.

cathidaw

I'm interested in writing too.
    I write articles occasionally for a Photo magazine which is a fun thing to me so don't mind if the money is not good, it gets things off my chest.
    What kind of things do you write?
    I've had some short stories published 3 times in a joint venture.
    -Got two 'best sellers' half done... I wish! and am currently writing the last of a set of 4 young children's stories., hopefully to get published one day, and of course -be famous!!!. Thats my problem, always ' one day'. I'm lazy and do nothing about it except write on.
    About computers what would we do without them?In November I sent mine to be repaired and upgraded.
    Five days of me wandering around like a lost soul.
    I must admit I got some work done,and cleared a few corners in my house I hadn't seen for some time.'Some time' is an understatement, I'm a sloven.
    I miss shizaras poems.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 29-12-2016 at 02:44 PM.

rebbonk

I used to have a monthly column with a trade publication. £200/1000 words, - Not too bad. I lost that column when there was an editorial change.

I've published various articles in learned journals. They're a pain: because they're peer reviewed it's very difficult to get anything new or controversial printed.

I currently write/edit a monthly 'keeping in touch' newsletter for a website I part own. It used to be a full monthly magazine, but it became too much as contributors dried up.

I've written lots of short ghost stories, a small anthology of poetry and two work related continuous improvement books. (I say books, but they're only about 80 pages.)

I've also written rather a lot of what I call 'schoolboy filth' - It does seem to sell quite well in America, but I wouldn't want my mother to read it.

Like you, I have plenty of 'best sellers' half written on my computer. Sadly I seem to run out of steam at about the halfway stage. Maybe I could put them together as novellas?

Oh, almost forgot, I review/proof read books for various sites/publishers/authors.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 29-12-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Ye Gods, Its like the siege of Troy! Who opened the floodgates, its like an invasion!
    Never used to get that many spammers.
    Last edited by Finebyme; 15-10-2017 at 06:17 PM.

I've not got mod status returned as yet Finebyme, but before my account got damaged I was removing lots of them daily, often in blocks of about 25. You need to watch yourself when removing them as it's very easy to remove a relevant thread or non spamming user.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I've not got mod status returned as yet Finebyme, but before my account got damaged I was removing lots of them daily, often in blocks of about 25. You need to watch yourself when removing them as it's very easy to remove a relevant thread or non spamming user.

It's all your fault

Just kidding.

We never used to get so inundated. But I'm sure Lex will sort it all out. Hope you can be reinstated as mod.

Hi Rebbonk, I've just reset you as a moderator.