Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jobs News

Mostly low skilled/paid jobs, but at least they're jobs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-42857343

Any jobs into the area are welcome, but I worry about recent Amazon centre revelations
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Mostly low skilled/paid jobs, but at least they're jobs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-42857343
    At least they are jobs How could you ! !

It makes me so angry when I hear of these new jobs--and the peanuts paid.
    We hear people grumbling about people on 'benefits'- without knowing what it is like. In the 80s,in the crash,decent hard workers couldn't keep up payments on their mortgages,through no fault of their own were made homeless--and have never picked up their lives again. The number of suicides have not yet been published.
    I notice that the critics of benefits are those with money, of pensionable age or politicians.
    We all know of those who abuse the system, or those with super large families who expect the earth, but it is wrong to lump them with the others who are working and scraping to keep their lives together
    Everyone under a certain wage should get benefits, and large companies should be compelled to pay decent wages.Governments are here to look after its citizens, but look at what they do, sitting up there pontificating about things they no nothing about. Not many are ordinary like us so what do they know.
    A leaf from Trumps book would be an idea for them 'Britain First.'.
    Benefits paid are pitiful-hardly covering food.So these wages paid by the Amazon project will cause more problems, especially if they pay the insulting minimum wage .Even getting to work costs money, and benefits -- if authorized -- will be swallowed, so they'll be worse off.
    I've got that off my chest now. I shall go and look at the special moon and go to bed.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 30-01-2018 at 11:30 PM.

You know Cathi, whilst in many ways I applaud the idea of a minimum wage, I can't help but feel it's backfired somewhat. So many companies now only pay the minimum wage whereas before they might have paid more.

I like the idea of Britain First, but we have far too many self interested politicians and PC correct wimps for that to ever happen. The Britain that you and I know is sadly finished.

Established Member

THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE BLUE MOON. today in fact

Once in a blue moon-we all know the expression.
    Our politics are shaky, but I'm optimistic.
    This may be the 'once in a blue moon' when things turn for the best. Our mess of a government cannot last forever.
    Mother Teresa can't keep everything to her chest forever either,whatever she believes.
    Up 'til now , the only definite announcement she's ever made is, 'I'm no quitter'.
    The rest is secret.
    She has her own definition of Prime.
    'Prime' is defined as 'chief' , not 'sole' as she appears to believe.
    So , for the moment she should be our 'Sole minister'.

Crossing my fingers this magic moon works! ! I had cowslips out in January, didn't I?
    Last edited by cathidaw; 31-01-2018 at 11:24 PM.

250 jobs for the Coventry area, and a company with an ethical business model: https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/...rict-1-8712657

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    250 jobs for the Coventry area, and a company with an ethical business model: https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/...rict-1-8712657
    That looks good

A rare bit of good news for Coventry: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...prism-16561488

I'm puzzled by this. You can't tell me that they didn't have the skills in the area where they were? - Stinks of 'inducements' to me.

A good example of how statistics can be used for sensationalism; a lot of the people quoted in this article either don't need to work, or are studying: https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/ne...ants-1-9027573

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. - I used to teach it!

You might like to read "Freakonomics" (Dubner and Levitt) or "How to Lie with Statistics" (Darrell Huff) to see how the woll is really pulled over your eyes.

157 jobs are going at Barclays in Coventry: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...entry-17860855

That's going to upset a few applecarts. Sadly, I think we're going to see more of this as pressure from internet banking takes hold.

My take on this is as follows. The banks collapsed in 2008. They remain collapsed. The money goes in, the money goes out, but there's no shaking it all about. The cogs whirr and that's about it.
    The western world is submerged underneath Himalayan levels of debt, and nobody knows how it, or even any part, can ever be paid back.
    The economic system as such continues, but in a kind of parallel universe with the collapsed financial system.
    As I see it, there is now a split within the State between a part which wants a deal with China as some way out of this mess, and the old Washington wing, which wants more of the same that we have had since 1945. Brexit of course is adding to this explosive mix. And of course lets not forget we are still in austerity. Yet massive, seismic pressures are building on the government to spend money it hasn't got and cannot get from tapped out tax payers, and cannot increase the printing presses any more to make money.
    The moral is simple - they are desperate, and I mean desperate for YOUR money. And are getting to the stage, I have to say, when they may be prepared to do anything to get it. As Cummings, the brilliant asymmetric warfare guy said, you have to realise these powers are now fighting to preserve the very system itself and what they take from it.
    Last edited by Mister H; 05-03-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Hence negative interest rates!

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Hence negative interest rates!
    Sure. In Switzerland they're discussing you actually having to pay THEM to put money with them. When you see journals of the establishment like 'The Economist' saying, in print, that people smuggling, and hard drugs, are a good wheeze to make money (properly regulated of course. - lol) you kind of get the deja vu feeling of the last day of Byzantium.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 05-03-2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Quote clarification