Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Humane meat production

Some companies know how to respond to retain a customer. Others don't appear to care - the win a few, lose a few philosophy.

Even though there should be procedures in place to prevent it things can go wrong during production/manufacture. But the supplier needs to deal with it in a right and proper manner. Customers shouldn't feel like they are being a nuisance for wishing to return a product that doesn't say what it says on the tin, nor should they have to jump through hoops to get the right response from the company concerned.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Shizara, you are so very right. I submitted my response and thought I'd receive a reply today and remember in response to their request to do so with specific info; nothing happened. They want me to search through the filthy bin bag to retrieve the bar code confirmation which I am prepared to do but as they haven't replied to some basic questions they asked, I'll wait until Monday. I have the two wooden steaks and have offered them back. (Tongue in cheek by ' click and collect'- no answer) I aim to bombard them now.

rebbonk

IIRC Tesco aim for 24 hours response. In my experience they often miss that.

One company that I complained to hadn't responded after several weeks, so I gave them a gentle reminder. They apologised and told me an answer would be put in the post that day. Next day, they told me a compensatory package had also been posted. I recieved the package, but not the letter. Unfortunately, it was the letter that I was actually interested in, as I was interested as to how their process could have let them down.

Ho hum...

Keep up the pressure Gladys, you know you're in the right.

Pillar of the Community

Well, its two days since the promise of attention to my complaint. I know the weekend is in the way and I did have to retrieve the packaging to provide the bar code info which I did this morning, However, they didn't respond to my offer of the steaks to be returned. Let's see what tomorrow brings with regards to a response now they have the information to trace the meat.

Well, If I was wearing a hat, then I'd have to eat it. Tesco just replied. I am to receive a refund and Yes, I can take the cooked steaks to the shop if I wish. They also say that ALL animals killed for Tescos ( whether for halal or non Halal) consumers are stunned prior to slaughter. This includes the NZ Lamb imported and they imply this includes the Kosher meat. I have asked them to clarify this last point especially and asked if Tesco is making a stand against the practice where other Supermarkets are not. Let's see what comes through next. I am glad I have put these matters to them but think they need to label the meat as such.
    Last edited by Gladys; 22-06-2014 at 01:55 PM.

That's great news Gladys!

Pillar of the Community

If he's telling me the truth , Yes it is. My next question is to ask why they aren't labeling the packaging to say.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    If he's telling me the truth , Yes it is.
    Might be a good idea for someone else to ask the same question and compare answers. Often customer care agents are advised to tell the customer just what he wants to hear. Should the information given subsequently be identified as being incorrect, the agent is advised to blame it on a misunderstanding with his superviser.

My next question is to ask why they aren't labeling the packaging to say.
    The answer to that will be quite telling, but I'll guess that it'll be along the lines of there is no legislation to, and that they don't want to confuse the customers even further by adding yet more detail to an already overcrowded label.

Pillar of the Community

Rebbonk, this is an excellent idea. Is anyone here willing to give it a go? You'll have to buy a piece of their British pre-packed steak and retain all the info on the barcode and price box though. As for the labeling issue- I don't see that happening fast because there isn't any requirement to do so as you say. However, I am still waiting to hear about my question re: the Kosher meat prep process. So far- nothing.

Pillar of the Community

Reply this afternoon but no mention of the Kosher question. They are refunding me £10 which is very generous seeing the steaks were about £4 something. They say they have notified the supplier too.

rebbonk

Gladys, my experience is that what they have done is a placatory gesture. I doubt they will raise things with the supplier. In the past I have asked for evidence of this, suddenly the emails stop!

It pains me to say that Tesco are one of the better ones when it comes down to customer complaints, but they seem to think they can buy off customers very cheaply.

Like you, I have had 'generous' refunds, but I find that they get less generous the more you complain!

I do wonder how long it will be before they identify me as a vexatious complainer, or simply decide to ignore me.

Pillar of the Community

Ha, Rebbonk, I am likely to be labeled as such too. Although, this reply Thanked me for telling them as quality is what they aim for and if they don't know, they can't address. Hence, I am invited to tell them about any issue I may have with their produce and service etc.( The staff at my local shop hadn't got a clue about the complaints procedure this person at the end of the email trail asked me to follow.- He was apologetic to the point I could imagine him on his bended knee. I am sure this shop will get 'training ' in the very near future!) I will leave a suitable space before I launch the question about labels.
    Last edited by Gladys; 27-06-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Pillar of the Community

This is the latest on humane meat production. I can't eat lobster because their deaths are all too often inhumane but this seems the right way to go as long as it is legislated and thus officially monitored. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...olt-shock.html

Pillar of the Community

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/64331 74,601- Come on People- step it up./ Its nearly there.

Pillar of the Community

Well- the e-Petition now stands at 103,192 signatures. Please tell more friends and family to sign it because Dave has spoken for me and for you which if you are against the ban on non stun slaughter may be OK- it isn't for me. He has issued a statement saying there will not be any such ban on religious slaughter methods. I am not talking about religion and nor is the e-petition. It is talking about welfare and the very real fact the sentient beings we eat should be treated with a humane, stress free end. Today's DM article on the subject links to the e-petition with a response to the signatures having reached the requisite 100,000. The Government department responsible is saying whilst the PM says there will not be a ban , it goes on to say they are looking at labeling meat clearly for customers to make an informed choice. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ned-death.html