Thread: Warwickshire Family Bragging Rights

Default Warwickshire Family Bragging Rights

I've managed to trace my family's links to Warwickshire back to the mid-1830's; can anyone trace their family's connection to the county back any further? (I'll stretch the definition of Warwickshire to Birmingham, which was a part of the county until the mid-19th century!)

rebbonk

You beat me Lex. I can trace mine back as far as the potato famine when we fled Ireland. No records exist in Ireland.

I'm currently beavering away at one of the branches of my family tree. The father's paternal side is supposed to be easier but not with my father's family!
    My father's maternal side conversely was quite problem free, (in large part thanks to a New Zealand cousin a million times removed, who saw a message board note I'd left), and I think I can match you there, Lex.
    I didn't know that, rebbonk and as you've said that just as my tree looks like it's leaning now towards Ireland, I'll be over in the corner sobbing if anyone wants me!
    Much Love,
    Tiff xxx

"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.

'You just got Tiffed!'

~ Warwickshire Online! ~

rebbonk

Tiff,

There may be records of your family in Ireland, depending on just where they originated, though many records have been destroyed.

In my own case, it a situation where it appears we fled and took the opportunity to rename ourselves. The family appears in Ashby de la Zouch with virtually no history. The only clue we found to Ireland was a declaration on a census record, and even that could be a lie...

Pillar of the Community

We seem to hail from Hereford on my Mother's side. They took off to NZ in the 1850s. My Father's lot emerge from Canadian stock with English origins but not sure where. Good luck in your searches. It is often a heart thumping time from both exhaustive dead ends and then from revelations in finding roots.

Tiff, is there anything I can do to help? I spend a lot of time doing family research and much to dig up a few things for Gladys.
    Cool

Mr.Rebbonk, thank you for the advice. It sounds as if you're locked in mystery yourself - very interesting! Good luck, hun.

You've gotten a long way back, Gladys! You are so right - my blood pressure is in a constant state of fluctuation.

That's very kind of you, Shizara and very much appreciated. It is such an addictive pastime! I may very well take you up on your kind offer.

Those Victorians really got around, didn't they? The game is afoot!
    Much Love,
    Tiff xxx

"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.

'You just got Tiffed!'

~ Warwickshire Online! ~

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    It sounds as if you're locked in mystery yourself - very interesting!
    There are some very dark secrets in the family. Sadly, the last UK based relative that was likely to know anything died a few weeks back, but she staunchly refused to reveal what she knew. There is one relative in Australia who might know, but so far he's not being co-operative.

What compounds the issues is that there are blocks of records missing from Warwick archives (particularly those referring to Hatton patients).

Searching poor house and criminal records is absolutely fascinating though.