Thread: Smart Contact Lens

Default Smart Contact Lens

Ok, odd forum to put this in, but I've been reading a lot about this type of technology in books by my 2 current favorite science fiction writers recently - Iain M. Banks & Peter F. Hamilton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25771907

rebbonk

Interesting development and technology.

I used to wear contacts when I was a vain young man. All was well until I once stopped out all night. Arriving home at about 6.30, I removed my lens and went to sleep. Awaking a couple of hours later I had eyes that looked like Marty Feldman's and hurt like hell.

I never wore them after that.

Incidentally, I used to drive on the MIRA circuits and the Dr there insisted that glasses, not contacts were worn.

Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Interesting development and technology.

I used to wear contacts when I was a vain young man. All was well until I once stopped out all night. Arriving home at about 6.30, I removed my lens and went to sleep. Awaking a couple of hours later I had eyes that looked like Marty Feldman's and hurt like hell.

I never wore them after that.

Incidentally, I used to drive on the MIRA circuits and the Dr there insisted that glasses, not contacts were worn.

What's MIRA circuits?

On the subject of vision, I been curious about the strength of and use of laser pens/pointers.
    What are the safety strengths for use outdoors, say for astronomy enthusiasts?

rebbonk

MIRA is the Motor Industry Research Association at Nuneaton. They have all sorts of tracks there for the testing of vehicles as well as research labs and a rather impressive wind-tunnel. I worked there for a few years.

rebbonk

As regards lasers, this might help...

CLICKY BIT

or this...

Another CLICKY BIT

Margaret

Thanks for your clicky bit links, Rebbonk, they are very imformative .

rebbonk

Not a problem Margaret.

I had to take a pub owner to task for shining a laser into the bar area. I asked if the laser was certified for the use he was putting it to (i.e. of a safe low power). He told me he could do what he liked as he was landlord. Knocked him back a bit when I pointed out to him that it was quite likely his insurance would be invalid and he might be held personally liable for any eye damage. I challenged him to contact his insurer...

Strangely enough the laser was never shone into the bar again!