Thread: Shakespeare's House Found

Default Shakespeare's House Found

An interesting story for all you Shakespeare fans out there:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-25484161

Margaret

Thanks for the link Lex,
    I visited the excavations in the summer and it is mildly interesting what they have found, such as old tiles, bits of crockery, clay pipes etc. To me It all seems an elaborate waste time and money. I did see a plan of the redevelopment of the gardens which of course is all designed to attract more visitors and generate more interest in Shakespeare's town. I am really miffed because they have closed the gardens to the public now and there is a fee to get in now, flaming cheek!
    No doubt they will be ripping off visitors when the project is complete around 2016.
    Last edited by Margaret; 23-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.

rebbonk

Excavations fascinate me. As a youngster I helped out at the Lunt fort at Baginton.

Locals can still gain free access to the gardens, apparently, but you have to prove you're local to Stratford, so anyone outside the SoA district has to pay up, which - as you say Margaret - is a bit of a cheek, as entry to the gardens used to be free.

Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Locals can still gain free access to the gardens, apparently, but you have to prove you're local to Stratford, so anyone outside the SoA district has to pay up, which - as you say Margaret - is a bit of a cheek, as entry to the gardens used to be free.
    Where to the locals access the gardens as the gates are kept locked, do they have to go through Nash's House?
    I am Life Member so I don't have to pay myself, we used to love going into the gardens on a summer visit and enjoy the surrounding flowers and shrubs. It just makes me sad that others outsiders can't have the same enjoyment unless they pay now.

Margaret

Default Archeology

This is one of the most fascinating of the Time Team digs.
    They went up to a large area in County Durham where there was known to be a large Roman barracks with a town attached. Over the three days they discovered a mausoleum where it is thought the commander of the soldiers had been buried or creamated. They found a coin from the time of the emperor Vespasian. They also found evidence of the door that led into the mausoleum. Whilst they were digging, they discovered that there an earlier wooden fort that was there before the main settlement. Sadly, Professor Mick Aston died this year, he will be missed.

Yes, you have to go through the house now.