Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coventry to Bid for City of Culture

Default Coventry to Bid for City of Culture

Wasn't sure whether to put this story here, or the 'Today's Funny News Story' thread.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-25220520

rebbonk

I saw this a couple of days back. Someone's got to be having a laugh

Whichever thread you put it under it might make a great subject for some of our stand up comediennes.
    Cool

I posted a thread about Hull getting the title on the grounds they're getting a yogurt ((bacterial)culture in yogurt - get it?); maybe Cov's going for the same thing?

rebbonk

Nah, we ain't that advanced Lex

This has got some serious backing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-26274788

*muffled guffaw*

rebbonk

Someone's really having a laugh. Apart from anything else the city simply can't afford it. And my honest opinion of that idiot Anne Lucas would get me banned from this site. Frankly, I wouldn't urinate on her if she was on fire!

rebbonk

I find it bl**dy hilarious that the Council's cutting back everywhere yet they can find an unspecified (as yet) amount to support this.

One of the alleged cultural points is the Godiva festival. - I think the Council want to scrap that!

All in all, it's a joke, and a pretty unfunny one!

Margaret

That made my husband Hee Haw with laughter!

Yes, we all think of Coventry's glorious medieval past, its plays, its churches, when we think of Coventry today!

And of course its just barmy for the City to promote Culture in the singular when it virtually has none and only the multi-culturalism and the wonderful things that it brings us is what the City constantly keeps banging on about that it stands for.
    Last edited by Margaret; 17-06-2015 at 11:45 AM.

It's still being thought about: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35773288 . The City Council don't seem too bothered, though, seeing as they cut the funding for the priory exhibition, forcing it to close.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    The City Council don't seem too bothered, though, seeing as they cut the funding for the priory exhibition, forcing it to close.
    The council have a record of squandering money on unnecessary things whilst cutting back on essentials. But cutting back on articles of cultural interest whilst trying to win the city of culture is clearly barmy.

Maybe the council got wrong end of the stick, and think the city's getting a yeast factory.

rebbonk

I tell you Lex, if ar$eholes could fly, Coventry Council house would be an airport.

That would be an interesting sight! Maybe their thinking is 'If Hull got it, maybe we're in with a chance too'

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    That would be an interesting sight! Maybe their thinking is 'If Hull got it, maybe we're in with a chance too'
    Well, I think we can beat Hull's greatest export...

Link