Thread: European Union

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default European Union

Dare I start a thread on this subject!! With all the talk about a referendum, I thought it might be worth starting the WOL debate on the issue. Here's an article to start things off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24859486

I think along the same lines as David Cameron, and the EU needs a lot of reform. Basically, I'm pro-European on the economic/business side of things, but am fairly anti-European on the political/integration side of things. Although one seems to be almost inevitable happening along the other, the political side's going a bit too far for my liking.

rebbonk

I'm anti European full-stop.

What irks me is that we've never had a true vote on membership. The referendum that we had in '75 was to see if we wished to remain as trading partners with the EEC. Things have changed a lot since then!

I'm firmly convinced that Heath knew full well what he was doing and sold us and our sovereignty down the river when he signed us up.

Yes, that seems to be the generally accepted view of things nowadays. We were basically lied to by those in power at the time.

Pillar of the Community

Not a lot has changed then in my view.

Margaret

I have to say that it seems to me that the only guarantee we will get a referendum is if a substiantial number of UKIP mp's get electecd.
    No one has the slightest confidence that the present prime minister really wants to hold a referendum , or if he does he won't fix it in some way.
    Quite the worst governmet we have had since Blair.
    The EU in my opinion is way beyond reform and we now simply have to get out as soon as possible.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    The EU in my opinion is way beyond reform and we now simply have to get out as soon as possible.
    I believe that the EU is too far out of control for reform. I also believe, no matter what the people of the UK (or the rest of the Euro area) want, breaking it up and freeing ourselves from it will be nigh on impossible. - I actually see a civil war type of scenario should the break up occur.

Margaret

Default EU Debate.

For anyone interested in listening in.

Tonight from 7pm on LBC (a London radio station) and Sky News,
    LibDem leader Nick Clegg and Ukip leader Nigel Farage have their first of two debates about whether Britain should be in or out of the EU...
    The two other party leaders (Cameron and Miliband) were too frightened to debate the issue in front of the voters!

Pillar of the Community

That will be an entertaining program. Messrs C and M showing true to form then?

Well, less than a week to go to the European Elections, and I'm still not sure who to vote for. I got leaflets from Labour (got binned - bunch of idiots), UKIP (got binned - bunch of idiots), our current MEP (Nikki Something - no idea who she is - seemed to be an idiot -got binned), and the Conservatives (actually read it - seemed to contain a lot of rubbish - not convinced - binned it)

rebbonk

I'll attend and vote Lex, but I might just spoil my paper by saying that there isn't one of them deserving my vote. - BTW, you do know your vote is not secret don't you?

Pillar of the Community

Lex, our candidates' leaflets received similar treatment for the same reasons too. I also am none the wiser as to which lot to vote for. Rebbonk, is that correct that they know which box we tick? What a farce all this secret ballot box thing is.