Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: European Union

rebbonk

I'm in the OUT camp, though I think barmy Boris coming out the way he has might be a curse. Many people (me included) see him as nothing but a clown. Frankly I dread the thought of him ever becoming PM.

cathidaw

I too am in the out camp rebbonk, but I'm sure Boris is a lot more than just a clown underneath all his buffoonery.However, we're used to clowns by now aren't we, and if I'm wrong it can't be any worse than what we are used too.
    I believe if he'd gone to the E U with Cameron's list he'd have blustered his way to get what he wanted.
    I think Cameron has made himself a spectacle.All that time and money spent to get-What?
    Last edited by cathidaw; 23-02-2016 at 11:46 AM.

rebbonk

Whichever way the vote goes, I think Camoron is finished.

I've known 1 or 2 people who've worked with Boris over the years, apparently he's definitely not the buffoon than he comes across as.
    I'll always remember Davis Cameron's 'Heir to Blair' comment, and how true it is - he comes over as being just as weak & slimy; frankly, I only voted Tory art the last election to keep Labour out.
    I'm still leaning towards voting to stay in the EU, but only for the reason that leaving will cause MAJOR problems for out economy, which would potentially take decades to sort out (especially with the global economy starting to look shaky). Otherwise, the 'Stay In' camp doesn't have much to go on; we have a generally good police service, and MI5 & MI6 have good relations with their counterparts in friendly countries around the world, so that argument doesn't cut the mustard with me.
    Sadly, a lot of the 'Get Out' camp's arguments (ok, a lot of this came from The Telegraph) seem to hinge round the fact that we were the world's first major democracy, brought the rule of law to the the world etc. (ie looking towards our glorious past), so I'm not entirely convinced by them.
    No-one seems to be paying much attention to what the UK's relationship with the rest of the world will be in the event of a 'Get Out' vote, except Nichola Sturgeon, who'd take it as an opportunity for another shot at independence for Scotland.

rebbonk

I suspect that 'fear of the unknown' will be a major factor in the vote. It's not clear by any means what will replace things like the human rights laws if we do depart.

cathidaw

I have a feeling- that if we came 'out' this country would become Great again.

We are losing our Britishness.
    People come here from other countries to live -why ? Because they want a better life.But- they don't want to live by the rules of our country.They come with 'conditions'. It's time to say if foreigners want to live here they should reside as we do and uphold the rules as we do. I rather like multiculturals coming here but this is Britain and want to keep it that way. If they want to have the same rules as their birth country they should stay there. and not try to change ours. Being in the E U allows newcomers to bleat about their 'rights' in OUR country Since the '50s we have accepted all races which has benefited us in lots of ways.
    The only good thing Cameron has done was to not allow an unlimited amount of immigrants here. Otherwise we'd be like Lesbos.

rebbonk

I'm not sure I'd bank on that changing Cathidaw. The left wing, tree hugging, blue rinsed, yellow bellied, lilly livered muppets that exist now will still be here. Despite claims that the Tories are right wing, I'd suggest that they actually lean to the left.

A real right wing UK government would give the UK a true wake up call.

cathidaw

Do you believe we'll ever get a right wing government? Too many cuckoos.
    I'm waiting for a miracle, aren't I.

rebbonk

Looking at the politicians we have, who could actually be called right wing and possibly form a government?

Duncan-Smith springs to mind, but I suspect he's got little credibility left.

Gove, maybe?

Possibly a few of the more junior female MPs trying to ape Maggie?

Somehow I don't think we'll see a real right wing government in my time. To be truthful, I think that we're about as right wing as we're going to get right now; and to me, we're still leaning left of centre.

A public debate's being held in Rugby next week - a good opportunity to air your views: http://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/new...town-1-7307020

rebbonk

That is one of the most sensible ideas I've seen to-date. I only hope that both sides will not play the scare tactics that we're seeing in the mainstream media, but will show reasoned views backed up with data where possible.

I'd suggest that will be an interesting evening.

The IMF's warned against the UK leaving the EU, but there's 1 or 2 advantages to leaving: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36024492

rebbonk

There is no doubt that leaving is venturing into the unknown. Nobody actually knows what will happen. But so far all I'm seeing are scare stories with very little foundation when you look at things below the surface. That BBC article uses the word 'could', they don't know for a fact.

I'll offer up one scare story of my own though. If we agree to stay, (I'll bet) the EU will force recent immigrants that they don't want on us. And (I'll bet) it'll happen within weeks of us agreeing to stay. They'll do this to punish us for having the audacity to push for the referendum. And that won't be the only way they'll spitefully get back at us, but it'll (likely) be the first shot.

I'm starting to lean towards leaving; partly because of immigration, and partly because the EU seems to be slowly trundling to breaking point due to ongoing economic issues, and political issues (including immigration) festering in the background.
    A lot of people are disillusioned with the EU, and there are a lot of bodged agreements and compromises only just holding the whole thing together.

rebbonk

Oops, something has just hit the fan...

A GROUP which has campaigned for the UK to vote to leave the European Union has said it will launch a legal challenge that could result in the referendum being put back until October 23.

Leave.EU, the organisation headed by Aaron Banks, has said it will apply for a judicial review of the Electoral Commission's decision to award lead campaign status to its rival, Vote Leave.

The decision means that Vote Leave, along with the remain campaign Britain Stronger in Europe, will be allowed to spend up to £7m on campaigning, receive a free distribution of information to voters and be able to make referendum campaign broadcasts.

If Leave.EU is successful in obtaining a judicial review of the Electoral Commission's decision, the referendum could be pushed back to October, to enable a 10-week campaigning period.

Mr Banks said: “It is to be regretted that this process may put the referendum back until October but if we are to avoid the most important vote of our lives being rigged then I feel duty bound to take this course of action.”

He is taking legal action because he believes there were "a number of judgements according to the Electoral Commission’s own criteria that do not make sense".

Mr Banks added: "The tweeting by Steve Bell, the Chairman of the Conservative Party Convention, that Vote Leave had been given the designation the night before of the official announcement smells of political corruption from our high-minded establishment and cannot be allowed to pass without challenge."
    source:business deskl