Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: European Union

Almost definitely some fire, and maybe a touch of smear too!

No-one's ever made a connection between UKIP & the Nazis before!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28729098

rebbonk

I have!

I have often referenced the similarities of the UK and 30s Germany and the fact that Farage is charismatic as was Hiltler.

Ooh, MSM cottoning on are they?

A vain attempt to stop voters defecting to UKIP: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29985949
    Sadly, the PM's just come out with another load of rubbish & hot air. Red Ed & Nigel Farage would be even worse....

rebbonk

I truly despair. There isn't one decent leader amongst the lot of them. Farage is the best of a bad lot, and frankly, I'm not sure I trust him at all.

cathidaw

Farage may surprise us all.

I can't see any other way our government will ever change
    What other way can anyone usurp the type of MP we've had for the the past centuries with their antiquated old boy system. Then, as now they were all rich men and educated to rule ordinary people, who of course were not allowed to have minds of their own. Watch Downton.!
    Many of the brighter MPs knew that educating the proletarians was a bad move ,( horror that we would get to think ourselves equal.) It's been a long struggle and with this lot we will have less freedom.We'll go backwards.
    The only thing bothering me is the type of person he chooses for his own party.Up to now he's had a hotch potch , but hopefully he has learned from it. Some of his latest , at least have had experience.
    Cant wait for the fireworks!
    Last edited by cathidaw; 12-11-2014 at 12:23 AM.

My fear about the types like Farage, is that Hitler got into power using populist tactics - and we all know what happened in 1930's Germany! I've voted UKIP a couple of times in European elections to send a message to UK governments of various colours, but am weary of voting for them in a General Election - you have to be careful of what you wish for!

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    you have to be careful of what you wish for!
    Ain't that true!

I've compared Farrage and his populist movement to Hitler on many occasions. I still see many similarities, but I also see similarities in the political climate that allowed Hitler to come to power. The UK is in dangerous waters.

rebbonk

Oops, has Nigel revealed his true roots?

he wants to replace NHS

Once a Tory....?

With the in/out referendum taking place at some point in the next 2 years where does everyone stand?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32793642

Personally, I'm thinking of voting to stay in the EU, but am starting to lean towards voting for leaving.

rebbonk

I've always been anti Europe. In my opinion we've been Royally shafted ever since we joined. - And I truly believe that Heath deliberately lied and mislead the population as to what we were signing up to.

I will vote out. However, I somehow don't think it will be that easy. I don't believe we'll get out even in the event of a NO vote: unless the migration crisis causes the EU to implode.

I'm edging towards voting to leave; the EU needs complete, wholesale reform, not bits of piecemeal fiddling: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35471117

One question that hasn't been asked yet, is what will David Cameron's plan be if the UK votes to leave the EU?

rebbonk

I believe he's said that it'll be taken seriously and we'll do exactly that.

However, in reality I suspect that like Southern Ireland over the Euro, we'll vote until we give the right answer.

In all honesty, I don't see us ever being able to cut the ties. I think Heath sold us down the river many years ago, but few realised at the time.

Yes, that is 1 thought that's been floating round my head; would we better off outside the EU, but having to follow their rules & give them money (eg Norway & Switzerland), or stay in & at least have a say on what the rules are?

rebbonk

I'm anti Europe and favour a complete break from it. That said, in the scenario you present above (and it may come down to that,) I'd have to say that staying in as a full member would be my choice. We might as well have a say in what affects us.

The date for the referendum has been set for 23rd June: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35634239