Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: European Union

Pillar of the Community

That will be an entertaining program. Messrs C and M showing true to form then?

Well, less than a week to go to the European Elections, and I'm still not sure who to vote for. I got leaflets from Labour (got binned - bunch of idiots), UKIP (got binned - bunch of idiots), our current MEP (Nikki Something - no idea who she is - seemed to be an idiot -got binned), and the Conservatives (actually read it - seemed to contain a lot of rubbish - not convinced - binned it)

rebbonk

I'll attend and vote Lex, but I might just spoil my paper by saying that there isn't one of them deserving my vote. - BTW, you do know your vote is not secret don't you?

Pillar of the Community

Lex, our candidates' leaflets received similar treatment for the same reasons too. I also am none the wiser as to which lot to vote for. Rebbonk, is that correct that they know which box we tick? What a farce all this secret ballot box thing is.

rebbonk

As I understand it Gladys, a vote can be tracked back to a person. When you attend, they cross your name off the list, then give you a voting slip that has a serial number on it. I believe that number is recorded against your name on their register.

rebbonk

Gladys, this clarifies my point...

If my vote is secret, why do you write my elector number beside my ballot paper number on the 'corresponding number list'?

The poll clerk writes your elector number on the corresponding number list to protect your vote. The election rules require that the elector number is recorded on the list against the number of the ballot paper issued to you. This is to avoid the possibility of counterfeit ballot papers being used and to assist with the detection of alleged fraud.

If ballot papers are numbered, it is far more difficult for an unscrupulous person to introduce copies of official ballot papers into the ballot box. If a fraudulent act has occurred, it would be possible to detect the offence by reference to the corresponding number list.

At the close of poll, the corresponding number list is placed in a sealed envelope by the presiding officer and taken to the Returning Officer. After the count has taken place, the used ballot papers are also sealed. The only occasion when the sealed packets can be opened is on the order of a judge as a result of an election petition or during an investigation into an alleged election offence. Even then, it is very rare for the documents to be examined except in cases where fraud or personation (someone voting illegally on someone else's behalf) are being investigated.
    Source : Elmbridge

Pillar of the Community

This must be under the guise of the Great Democratic Vote then?

rebbonk

Preventing fraud I guess, for now! How long until the powers that be start removing the real dissenters in society?

The European Parliament election results are in; that's the last we'll hear from our MEPs for the next 5 years.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27570545

rebbonk

Oh I don't know Lex, LibDem former MEPs are likely to be quite vocal at the jobcentres!

Anyone know how much those ousted get by way of resettlement?

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Anyone know how much those ousted get by way of resettlement?
    B*gger!

"MEPs leaving Brussels after European elections to receive 'golden goodbyes' of up to £157k"

Source ; Express

Scandalous, and don't forget that we're paying for these usless articles.

Good grief. A lot of them will probably get nice lobbying or 'consultancy' jobs too.

An MEP alleged to be on the fiddle? I'm shocked & surprised!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-27641427

Pillar of the Community

Oh Dear. That isn't going to help is it? Mr C was only saying yesterday that Brussels had been ' too big, too bossy and needs to get its nose out of our business more' or words to that effect. It rather sounds like he's doing a ' U ' turn. let's watch and see. Might be waiting a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    An MEP alleged to be on the fiddle? I'm shocked & surprised!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-27641427
    She spent £120K of her own salary on her work activities; she must be on the straight & narrow. She obviously worked hard for her cause; no-one had heard of Nikki until she'd been arrested.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-28443384

rebbonk

No smoke without fire?

Or a nasty smear campaign?

I await any trial with interest.