Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

A couple of months back I bought a fancy set of super-accurate, electronic, weighing scales. - They told lies, something I tracked down the surface they were placed on.

I stood on them yesterday only to be greeted with the message that the battery was exhausted. As they'd hardly been used, I was, putting it mildly, a bit peeved. Tonight, all has been revealed: the bl**dy cat is sleeping on them! Yes, the moggie is heavy enough to turn them on and run the battery down.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Haahaa! I think the cat was trying to tell you she is losing weight and not being fed enough.

Last edited by margaret; 14-10-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

DSCN4040 (2).jpg

Little tyrant that she is.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    DSCN4040 (2).jpg

Oh Lor! no messin with her.
    She has a beautiful fur coat!

“I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

She is a right little madam. Notice, she's taken up residence on my computer. - It took me ages to sort out what she had done to the operating system!

The poor dog regularly gets 'cat slapped' for sticking her nose where it isn't wanted.

I've never been a cat person, but she has really endeared herself to me.

I walked the dog slightly later tonight and I noticed a definite autumnal nip in the air. Walking back into the house I was welcomed by the delicious smell of cottage pie bubbling away in the oven.

Autumn's not all bad!

DSCN4040 (2).jpg

I think I've mentioned on here before how when she wants to come back in after going out, she raps at the door? Well, tonight (early morning, I was watching The Sweeney) I heard her usual rapping to let me know she wanted to come in. I opened the door only to see her disappearing down the front path. She looked back at me, and I swear she was grinning! To think I used to do similar as a kid!

What has my life come to?

Hahaa! yes, most of us as kids did that. We called it Chap-door-run, in Scotland.

- Lord Byron.

We went into the Warwick Marks & Spencers food store and noted that they have the track and trace app by the till. We just ignored it and weren't asked to fill in a form or anything. So we got served no problem. But what worries me is that although they had the track & trace app, non of the staff were wearing masks. I always go in fully masked or with a scarf round my face. And why was the app on the partition by the till? Can the app , pick up your mobile phone signal even if it is still in your bag?

- Lord Byron.

I don't think staff need masks if they are behind perspex screens.

I don't have a mobile so know little about track and trace apps. However, I did read a rather worrying item in the news last week that police were to be given access to the data. This is not what the app was supposed to be for.

The only place I'm asked for details is my local pub. I'm happy to leave my name and phone number, but would refuse to leave my address.

I don't think staff need masks if they are behind perspex screens.

I don't have a mobile so know little about track and trace apps. However, I did read a rather worrying item in the news last week that police were to be given access to the data. This is not what the app was supposed to be for.

The only place I'm asked for details is my local pub. I'm happy to leave my name and phone number, but would refuse to leave my address.

Thanks Rebbonk, sorry I wasn't explicit enough about the staff, there were staff inside the entrance selling promoting pumpkins for halloween, without wearing mask, and some staff busy around the aisles not wearing masks. As well as at the till with a perspex screen.

- Lord Byron.

I consider myself very responsible and take sensible precautions, but I won't do the App trace on my phone. I avoid crowded places, keep distance, wash my hands thoroughly when arriving home from shopping etc. I do talk to neighbours over the fence or on the phone to check that we are all ok, all that kind of thing. What I do worry about is when we get post , is there a possibility of Covid on the envelopes, papers etc.
    The infernal TV licence letter goes straight in the bin as always!

- Lord Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Thanks Rebbonk, sorry I wasn't explicit enough about the staff, there were staff inside the entrance selling promoting pumpkins for halloween, without wearing mask, and some staff busy around the aisles not wearing masks. As well as at the till with a perspex screen.
    From the Grocer...

Under the latest clarification, face coverings must be worn by retail, leisure and hospitality staff working in indoor areas which are open to the public and where they are likely to come into contact with a member of the public, for example shops, supermarkets and restaurants.
    Source: The Grocer

The government has done so many U turns and changed their mind so often it is difficult to keep up with things.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    I consider myself very responsible and take sensible precautions, but I won't do the App trace on my phone. I avoid crowded places, keep distance, wash my hands thoroughly when arriving home from shopping etc. I do talk to neighbours over the fence or on the phone to check that we are all ok, all that kind of thing. What I do worry about is when we get post , is there a possibility of Covid on the envelopes, papers etc.
    The infernal TV licence letter goes straight in the bin as always!
    I'm being sensible about things too. I think my social life is about to take a real tumble as I'm no longer supposed to mix with others in the pub.

The post is an interesting one, Margaret. My mail is coming through the door as usual, yet when I had a soft package delivered they left it on the doorstep and stood well back.

Whilst I will obey the law and respect the wishes of others, in truth, I see much of what is going on as a waste of time.

I agree with your point about over egging the pudding, as it were.

- Lord Byron.

After so many years of not having a freezer, Yours truly has now decided its about time to invest in one, A German make, Liebherr. Shame on me not buying British.
    Being a newbie, I shall leave it to stand a few hours before use,to let it settle down. But I want to ask, when I turn it on do I wait till it is up to the desired temperature before I place any frozen veg, fruit in it.
    Last edited by margaret; 09-11-2020 at 02:35 PM.

- Lord Byron.