Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

I've not bought petrol for months. I only use it to go to and from the supermarket these days.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

It's the 1st time I've topped the tank up for weeks - even then it was only a quarter of a tank.

Since I'm alone and the pubs are closed (boo-hoo) I've taken to education to amuse myself and fill the evening hours.

I've rekindled my interest in psychology. There are lots of very good courses out there that are currently free due to covid.

What are the rest of you doing to avoid the boredom?

I'm reading a lot more - a mix of my favourite books & trying some new authors. My allotment's keeping me busy as well.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Since I'm alone and the pubs are closed (boo-hoo) I've taken to education to amuse myself and fill the evening hours.

I've rekindled my interest in psychology. There are lots of very good courses out there that are currently free due to covid.

What are the rest of you doing to avoid the boredom?

Well, I was thinking I could brush up on the only other language I learnt years ago which was German, So If I do a refresher course and get back up to decent conversational level, that would be something. Grammar has always been why sticking point , but I'll work on it.
    I know there is a French group, in town who have regular meet ups at the Temperance Cafe and other venues, I shall make enquires about German.
    I would love to have studied French, but I don't feel like starting all over again, so I'll just brush up on German. I wanted to do Punjabi too, but can't find anywhere local that teaches it. It is hard though.

I'll just tinkle about on the piano as well.
    Last edited by margaret; 24-05-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Get value from your licence fee, Margaret...

BBC German Course

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Get value from your licence fee, Margaret...

BBC German Course

Thank you for that Rebbonk, I don't have a telly, but the Bite size Revision looks good. I shall look at online courses.

If I were younger, I would have and should have taken a Maths course, as it has always been the bane of my life, but for some reason since reaching retirement when I don't need it so much , I find Math's fascinating. But I' think I've left it all too late, I do have math books but basics. I wish I wasn't so lazy and disinterested at maths when I was at school! I envied people that were good at maths.

“I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

It's never too late, Margaret.

I despised school and left with a few O levels. In the working world I realised that education helps, so took every course I was offered. It got to the stage where the training dept would ask me to go along to evaluate courses for them. I did all sorts of courses, including, a Bob Ross painting course! I ended up with a Masters degree: I'd have had a PhD if I'd have played the game.

But, even being retired it's surprising how often things come in handy.

A friend came talking to us in a pub one night. He was rather upset over something. I took him through the trauma curve and explained how he'd been feeling, how he was feeling now, and how things would progress from there. He was amazed that I could tell him his feelings and went off a lot happier knowing the future was brighter: and I've since seen him use a similar talk to help others. Oddly, nobody has ever thought to ask me how I learned about the trauma curve.

I've also helped lots of friend's children that were having trouble at school with various subjects. It's surprising how teachers are so constrained on time that they can't help some children.

I've been lucky and never had to pay for education. There are so many courses out there that only charge you for the certificate or exam. They obviously try to sell these, but as I have no need for them I simply decline.

Get stuck in Margaret, you'll enjoy yourself.

I know you don't have a TV, but don't forget the iplayer and youtube.

I wasn't an achiever at school either - a mix of me being lazy & incompetent teaching. I left school as soon as I could & went to college & suddenly discovered learning, and haven't stopped since!

Even now, 30 years later, facing an enforced career change I'm looking at qualifications to get up the ladder in my new job.

I went to a very well known local school. It was a dreadful place. Most of the teachers were ex WW2 officers coasting to retirement. Their abilities varied from hopeless to psychotic bullies. I'm a member of other forums where this school regularly comes up for discussion. The result is always the same. The mods have to stop the discussion and remove posts as the vitriol is so intense. As I say, a truly dreadful place.

I went to Trinity in Leamington/Warwick (split site school); there where only about 3 teachers in the whole place that weren't a complete waste of space. The only thing I got from 5 years of education there was an interest in history, geography & photography; otherwise it was a case of 'they can't be bothered teaching, I can't be bothered learning'.

At junior school, I had a set of very inspiring teachers. From senior school, I can only remember one inspiring me: the physics teacher. I came across him on friends reunited a few years back and thanked him for what he'd done. Oddly enough, he remembered me and a couple of my mates. But it was really thanks to him that I entered the world of engineering. It was also thanks to him that I had a very good understanding of basic electronics which left me head and shoulders above the rest at interviews.

Thank. you for your encouragement Rebbonk, yes I shall set about studying/brushing up on my chosen subjects. The big effort is organisation and self discipline. Getting boring jobs out of the way first, like shopping, cleaning etc.

I think our formative years makes an interesting study on how we integrated into society.
    A very true statement from Rebbonk about teachers, resonates with me too, ''Their abilities varied from hopeless to psychotic bullies. In Scotland, It was really most the male teachers that were psychotic bullies, officers straight out of WW2. I know that boys especially need discipline but I think the teachers went way over the top with punishment and would use the strap or the belt at the drop of a hat! We had to stand up when addressing the teacher or to ask a question. I once was late for line up and was called out by one of the bully teachers, he was a great gangling German, he wanted to give me six of the best, but I refused, and told him I'm going up to the headmaster to complain about him , as I made my way to the Head's office , he called me back, I said no! Having reached the Headmasters office and told him my reason for seeing him, he let me off and told me to go back to my class. After that incident, Mr. Schmied, never troubled me again.
    Last edited by margaret; 25-05-2020 at 04:34 AM.

- Lord Byron.

I seem to remember that along with the shuffle of chairs and standing as the teacher came into the room, if the teacher was male they were to be addressed as 'Sir'. Chalk would sometimes go flying through the room if someone was being inattentive, teachers were often given nicknames with some not being too flattering. I once got called up to the front of the class with the instruction... "Would Lady Godiva in the back row come here and get some rubber bands for her hair." I dutifully went to the front and collected the rubber bands as my hair just touched the collar and either it had to be cut or tied up. They beginning of phys ed class when at a high school began with 2 laps of the football field. if you were caught walking you had to do another lap. Sprinting, well, they used to pit the slim and energetic ones against each other and those that were built for comfort rather than speed were lined up together. As you can imagine, for those not in that category it was a source of amusement. I remember one day there was a howling gale outside and the autumn leaves were blowing around. The teacher sent me out with a broom to sweep them up. I returned to tell him how pointless that was because as fast as you swept them they blew away again. I was abruptly told "Sit down." Nature tables were often another source of amusement, mostly for the boys, especially if you had a rather large spider in a jar they would mischievously let it out to frighten the girls. Long hair? Well, we had dual desks with inkwells. If you had boys behind you they took great delight in dipping your plait into the inkwell. My thoughts on the warm bottles of milk we were given in the mornings should be left unsaid. Milk monitors would bring the crate in and stab the foil top with a pencil then park a straw into each bottle - 'elfen safety?' - Where? When someone did a heave ho on the floor we had to quietly wait until they had finished, the child would be sent out of the room, we we would be despatched to the playground for a few hours and the caretaker would come in with a bucket of sawdust.
    Cool

Nice to read your school memories Shizara. I used to love school milk and school dinners.

- Lord Byron.

I was a junior school milk monitor. We opened the bottles with a plastic press device and saved the tops for guide dogs.

Secondary school was a big change.

I remember one PE teacher 'bouncing' the smallest, weakest and most asthmatic kid in the class all around a trampoline.

We had a Latin teacher that would beat you with a bunsen burner tube. I always questioned his sexuality. He'd 'cuddle' up against you on your seat and play with your hair. Oddly enough, he took on a child protection role in another school.

Saturday morning detentions were held for those deemed to be really bad.

I once went to Shropshire with a teacher for an orienteering exercise. We were dropped off and left to find our own way back to base. I think that was called character building!

Can't say I miss school at all, and I've never been tempted to go back for a reunion.