Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Glad I don't have TV, Rebbonk, I feel sorry for poor pensioners getting a raw deal. I agree that means testing would be awful. I think if the BBC do start having more adverts , you would soon get fed up with the interruptions. I know it would drive me insane.

I rarely watch TV. If it wasn't for Mrs R I wouldn't have one. I actually consider the TV licence to be an optional spend, but Mrs R won't risk it because she knows people that have been caught without one and fined. However, IMO, getting caught is a minimal risk and there is no obligation to enter into any discussion with TVL employees.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Though we don't have a telly, we keep getting their letters to remind us that our house is not licensed, blah blah, and they give us an 'officially' stamped date when we should expect a visit, this has been going on for a couple of years now, and we never have had a visit, so just treat their letters same as junk mail. I will never respond to them or let them in, as you say Rebbonk, we are not obliged to divulge any information if they did happen to visit, which is a complete waste of time.

What do you all think of electronic washing machines , are they all like that now?

We've had one for several years now. I find it much more reliable that the old mechanically controlled ones.

Yes, well I've been behind the times for a while now, I have just got rid of a god knows how old bone-shaker of a washing machine, the rubber had gone and it stank a bit and rusty on the bottom, no matter how much I cleaned it up, it still smelled a bit. I guess it was good old work-horse machine when new.
    I recently bought a Zanussi , model with the electronic programmes, it isn't the top of the range, but it is a good adequate , machine for short, delicates, or longer wash cycles and good rinse and spin. It should do for a good while, I hope. So I now feel up to date , though I still think the mechanical ones are good too.

Established Member

I love my automatic machine.My other Hoover one lasted 26 years.It still worked but you could hear it up the road sometimes when spinning.Just noises of old age,but not conductive to neighbourly harmony
    This is Hotpoint and cant last as long.They are mainly some sort of plastic nowadays.

Cathi, I think If I could afford a Meile washing machine, I would love to buy one, but this new Zanussi will suffice just for the two of us. I think Zanussi and AEG are now Electrolux, (a Swedish firm).
    Last edited by margaret; 10-02-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Ours is a Zanussi. The previous ones we've had have tended to last about 5 years before dying on us. To be honest, it simply wasn't worth the cost and effort to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Ours is a Zanussi. The previous ones we've had have tended to last about 5 years before dying on us. To be honest, it simply wasn't worth the cost and effort to fix them.
    Did you previously have Zanussi , Rebbonk? I agree, it wouldn't be worth getting a major repair done. Like Cathi was saying, the newer models aren't made to last now. I think they want a quicker turnover. I think maybe it would have been better in the long run to have invested in a good Meile washing machine, they are pretty robust and have a 5 or 10 year guarantee, depending on the price, they claim they last for about 20 years.
    Last edited by margaret; 10-02-2019 at 05:15 PM.

On a different note, I was just thinking that there aren't many female taxi drivers, at least in this area.
    When I was in the South East I used a regular lady taxi driver, we got quite friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Did you previously have Zanussi , Rebbonk? I agree, it wouldn't be worth getting a major repair done. Like Cathi was saying, the newer models aren't made to last now. I think they want a quicker turnover. I think maybe it would have been better in the long run to have invested in a good Meile washing machine, they are pretty robust and have a 5 or 10 year guarantee, depending on the price, they claim they last for about 20 years.
    The very first one we bought was a Zanussi, it didn't last particularly well. This one was us re-trying the brand after a few years and it's been a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    On a different note, I was just thinking that there aren't many female taxi drivers, at least in this area.
    When I was in the South East I used a regular lady taxi driver, we got quite friendly.
    I don't think I've ever seen a female taxi driver locally, although there have been a few private hire drivers. Golden Lady with her fleet of cars was quite a concern a few years back.

The very first one we bought was a Zanussi, it didn't last particularly well. This one was us re-trying the brand after a few years and it's been a good one.
    That's good to know Rebbonk. So far mine is doing fine too.
    I have had a Zanussi fridge for few years maybe 6, its ok still.

We have a fridge/freezer (Hotpoint) that is over 30 years old and still going strong. The woman I bought the house off sold me the whole house content and furnishings for £1000 as I was a poor, broke divorcee! It was money well spent as I only replaced things as they failed or wore out.

Established Member

We have a fridge/freezer (Hotpoint) that is over 30 years old and still going strong. The woman I bought the house off sold me the whole house content and furnishings for £1000 as I was a poor, broke divorcee! It was money well spent as I only replaced things as they failed or wore out.
    apoor broken divorcee..AAAAHH! HOW EXPRESSIVE WAS THAT!

mY CHEST FREEZER IS 32 YEARS OLD.One day it will pack up and I'll have an upright,but I hate throwing things away when they still work.I must admit to stuffing it and have to dig down. I tidy it occasionally- then my shopping comes .......
    and I throw it in ,Promising to 'do it tomorrow'.
    tOMORROW HARDLY EVER COMES THOUGH AND i'M BACK WHERE i STARTED.