Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

rebbonk

We used to do that as kids. Mum used to make lovely blackberry and apple pies.

I was thinking about apple & blackberry crumble, and perhaps a few on my cereal in the mornings, but it's now evolving into bramble jelly!

What's everyone up to over the Bank Holiday?

rebbonk

Same as usual Lex. When you're retired, every day is a holiday.

Or, more sinisterly as someone once said to me, "Every day above ground is a good 'un!"

I'll be off to the Plum Festival in Pershore over the weekend. I stumbled into it last August Bank Holiday & really enjoyed it.

rebbonk

I'm thinking of writing another business book. I'll probably use the time to do some research on it. - Unless Mrs R decides otherwise!

rebbonk

Lex, if you like Plums, try this...

Jamie Oliver recipe

Thanks Rebbonk - looks a great recipe!

Just had a busy morning making bramble jelly & rhubarb jam. Both came out ok, seeing as it's my first attempt at jam-making.

rebbonk

Good on you. I started in the kitchen late in life, but really enjoy it- as long as I have the time!

I really enjoy cooking - basic stuff, mostly. Treated myself to a beef brisket from a local butcher today, which will keep me going for most of the next week.

rebbonk

I had a b*ll*cking about the last piece of brisket I did!

It was quite a large piece (note, Mrs R bought it!) and I cooked it in the slow cooker with onions and beef stock. It was lovely and tender and really tasty, and lasted the two of us 3 days.

Mrs R complained that it was too 'strong' tasting and ended up giving quite a lot of hers to the dog. - It was all my fault!

Now, Thursday of this last week we were having a beef casserole, but I didn't think we had enough meat for it. I asked Mrs R to get a little more when she went shopping. She brought back a rather nice piece of brisket(!) which I cubed and added to the casserole. All cooked in the slow cooker along with carrots, onions and a beef stock. Not a single word of complaint!

Women!

Has a very strange experience today - I actually saw a BMW driver use their indicators!

rebbonk

You know the rules Lex, pictures or it didn't happen.

A Day in the Diary of a BMW Driver

"The other day I was cruising along as usual coming onto one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I couldn't believe that the volume of traffic DIDN'T slow down for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway! The driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.

Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane.

Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110 mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph! Naturally, I got within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.

Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me! He also tried to keep up with me and when he realised I would outrun him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager to oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast! Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I had to take my driver’s licence to a police station to be sent away to have some points put on! (They're not free points either - they're £20 each and I was only allowed 3.)

But the man at the police station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me!

See, now THAT'S the sort of respect you get when you own and drive a BMW!"

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    You know the rules Lex, pictures or it didn't happen.
    I was so shocked, Rebbonk, I didn't even think to get my phone out to take a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110 mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph! Naturally, I got within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.

An Audi driver did that to me a few weeks ago. A sharp tap on the breaks usually makes them back off a bit, but this moron decided to swerve out into oncoming traffic in order to overtake me.

rebbonk

Years ago I worked for a research centre. A colleague travelled by motorway to work and was regularly complaining of being hassled by cars trying to overtake him. He fitted a touch switch on his dashboard that would operate his brake lights. He reckoned it was magic to watch their faces in the rear view mirror as his brakes came 'on' and he accelerated away.