Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

I'm wondering if it's the power adaptor or battery on mine. I'll take it into my local computer repair shop on Friday to see what they say.

I've run various 'tools' on mine and changed a few settings today and it's been a lot better. Maybe, just maybe, I can nurse it along for a bit longer.

Depending on a battery failure mode, it might render the computer inoperative even with a mains supply. I had a Toshiba that suffered a battery failure and as long as the battery was physically in place, nothing would work. But remove the battery and she would fire up from the power unit. Whereas a Lenovo battery failed on me but the computer would still work as long as it was connected to the charger/PSU.

Imagine the fun we're going to get with electric cars!
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

I'll stick with the broom...
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    My laptop packed up yesterday, so I'm reduced to accessing the interweb via my phone - bit frustrating!
    Getting my laptop back tomorrow; hooray! Accessing the interweb via my phone iso a pain in the behind.

I have plenty of data for my phone but prefer to use something bigger eg tablet, iPad or PC. Besides, the bigger it is the easier it is on the eyes as you get older :-P - LOL... I think decrepit was the word used in the word game.
    Cool

I find using laptops a lot easier too - decent size keys for my sausagy fingers, big screen & easy switching between tabs.

I've got an iPad mini that I won. Apart from reading in bed, I rarely use it. My laptop has a 14" screen and has a full size, plus numerical pad, keyboard. The laptop is by far my favourite and most used.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Cop this lot!

Our drain outside the house had a blockage, the water level was high, so we looked up a few firms reasonably priced. But this particular firm said they will give us a free quote on a visit, which we agreed to, (this was a Coventry firm), so before work is done hahaha! he quoted £225, so we sent him packing never to hear from him again, but ....... back he comes after having a word with his 'boss' and said he will reduce it to £175, our answer was still a resounding NO, NO! Sorry and all that, so off he goes , sat in his van......then comes knocking at the door, and said the least he can do if for is £150, so we pondered a bit and said OK , go ahead with that price. I know we could have had it done for a bit less than that, but it was the evening and he was there with the equipment, we wanted this problem sorted, as it turned out the job only took 10 or 12 minutes, I timed it, a quick job. So I'm glad we haggled a bit. Its unbelievable. I know these chaps have to be paid for a horrible job, but I felt at first they were trying to fleece us and we weren't having any of it.
    I know I could have had it slight less, but as I say it was evening and we wanted the job done. Lesson learnt £150 it was.
    Last edited by margaret; 08-06-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Horrible job, but in the past, I've simply taken my shirt off and stuck my arm down. Have you found out what caused it, Margaret? The last issue I had was when Anne had put an odd mix down the drain and it congealed. She came clean straight away and (touch wood) the drain's been OK since. I used to find her hair blocked a lot of 'U' bend traps, too.

Arrgh!

I've got an attack of gout! Right hand, index finger knuckle. I can't understand it, I've not been drinking heavily and I've not had excessive amounts of cheese or kidney beans. Back to recording everything I eat and drink to find yet another trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Horrible job, but in the past, I've simply taken my shirt off and stuck my arm down. Have you found out what caused it, Margaret? The last issue I had was when Anne had put an odd mix down the drain and it congealed. She came clean straight away and (touch wood) the drain's been OK since. I used to find her hair blocked a lot of 'U' bend traps, too.

It was the main drain on the outside , in the driveway. We took the lid off there was not a lot there just those horrible fresh wipes plus bits of stones/pebble which is on the driveway must drop through somehow. We are normally very careful.
    Last edited by margaret; 08-06-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Arrgh!

I've got an attack of gout! Right hand, index finger knuckle. I can't understand it, I've not been drinking heavily and I've not had excessive amounts of cheese or kidney beans. Back to recording everything I eat and drink to find yet another trigger!

I take natural anti inflammatory herbs and I'm sure it helps. Stuff like Turmeric and Devils Claw. Helps with my backache.

This might be of interest to you, Rebbonk...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Healing-Gou...a-905791403742
    Last edited by margaret; 08-06-2021 at 01:44 PM.

- Lord Byron.

Having looked back over my recent meals, Margaret, I have a nasty suspicion that Tomatoes might be responsible. And that is going to be a dreadful cross to bear.

Having looked back over my recent meals, Margaret, I have a nasty suspicion that Tomatoes might be responsible. And that is going to be a dreadful cross to bear.

Yes, that's a tough one Rebbonk. What to replace instead of tomato. Maybe try sweet peppers.
    Apparently Green Tea is very good for gout, it is an acquired taste I think, but you can get it in tablet form.

Green tea has been extensively investigated for several potential health benefits. Previous studies have suggested that green tea may lower serum uric acid level in human.

- Lord Byron.

Ghosts.

Do you believe in them, have you ever seen one? I'm asking purely because on another site someone has made the statement that they do exist and they've seen one. The problem that I have is that I was there when the ghost was 'created'! It was a prank that got spectacularly out of hand and the legend lives on!

I also know people that I'd say are well balanced and not prone to fanciful imagination that have 'seen' ghosts.

I'll admit to making a few bob selling ghost stories in the past, so I have to say that I'm a little skeptical.

I'm on the fence with that one, Rebbonk.

- Lord Byron.