Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Thanks for that Rebbonk .

On a different note, What would you do if you went for a job interview and the interviewer was covered in tattoos?
    Last edited by margaret; 10-10-2018 at 04:03 PM.

I'd politely say, "thanks but no thanks" and leave. I wouldn't stay for the interview.

I have nothing against tattoos as such (many of my friends have them) but I don't think they present a professional image. A local thug (businessman!) told me when I was growing up, if I was ever to get tattoos, always make sure that they could be covered up for business purposes. - In the main, I agree with his advice.

Incidentally, I'm not one for sitting quietly in interviews. I remember one at Jaguar where after a few minutes I realised that the guy who would be my boss was a complete idiot. I stood up, said "I work for an idiot now, I have no intention of working for another one." Taking the panel by surprise I shook their hands and walked out. About 3 weeks later I had a letter telling me I had been unsuccessful! It's a shame that Jaguar didn't look at that guy closer as he was the cause of many of their warranty issues. Thankfully he'd gone by the time Jaguar took L/R over. (Sorry, it was a merger <manical laugh>).
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Yes, Autumn can be very colourful with the reds , rusts and evergreens, still some flowers in the garden and tubs looking cheerful. last year I planted a new white peony, which is just getting established, this year no flower but the leaves have gone an attractive red, with with greyish white on the back. I am hoping it will flower next year.
    lovely photo, would surely get somewhere high in a competition for flowers.

Established Member

my japanese windflowers are still out-only half the size of usual and petals are smaller too, due to that hot spell but very pretty
    I have a fig tree--loaded with green figs but it's too late for them to ripen now. Next week I shall prune it as it has gone mad this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cathidaw; 11-10-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    my japanese windflowers are still out-only half the size of usual and petals are smaller too, due to that hot spell but very pretty
    I have a fig tree--loaded with green figs but it's too late for them to ripen now. Next week I shall prune it as it has gone mad this year.

Are those pink ones Japanese windflowers? they are very pretty . With my penstemon picture, I was thinking I might enter it in a competition, but will have to wait round to the summer again I think. Leamington usually have a flower competition.

I didn't think figs really ripened in this country Cathi, but the actual fig trees grow lovely big leaves. When we lived in the south east, a neighbour of ours once had a big beauty of a fig tree. But was cut down as someone complained that the roots where moving his shed!

[QUOTE=rebbonk;34256]I'd politely say, "thanks but no thanks" and leave. I wouldn't stay for the interview.

I think that's what I would have done Rebbonk, especially in the medical profession.

It was my son who was having an interview, he had already been interview by two very nice professionals, he felt quite comfortable and good rapport , but then the third was a woman covered in tattoos, made him cringe, I think that would have totally ruined my interview and parted company. By the way the job was for a Band 3 pathology assistant.

The biggest blunder (well maybe not the biggest). the NHS made was allowing staff to have tattoos!
    In my day we weren't allowed to wear jewellery, and have neat and tied back. But just before `I left, Matron employed a guy with an earring and a stud on his toungue. He obviously wasn't wearing the stud in his interview. But, that same guy was a good worker and would help out anyone when asked. Pity about the pink handbag and studs and drinking out of the milk carton that we had in the staffroom for our teas. But there we go.

Last edited by margaret; 11-10-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Are those pink ones Japanese windflowers? they are very pretty . With my penstemon picture, I was thinking I might enter it in a competition, but will have to wait round to the summer again I think. Leamington usually have a flower competition.

I didn't think figs really ripened in this country Cathi, but the actual fig trees grow lovely big leaves. When we lived in the south east, a neighbour of ours once had a big beauty of a fig tree. But was cut down as someone complained that the roots where moving his shed!
    Fig trees need to be contained(so I was told) this one is in an old concrete fish pond which was filled in years ago, so it grows outwardly.Otherwise the roots spread far and wide.We had lots of ripe figs--if I could get them before the squirrels did.The wind flowers are usually up to 7 feet' tall.

I'd never heard of penstemons,they look good.
    Love your dance video.I did international dance for 12 years=often called circle dance.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 12-10-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Established Member

fig tree (2).jpg
    My fig tree this morning.

What a lovely garden Cathi

Established Member

My black bin went too.The replacement took 5 weeks until I complained. Then I had one, and 2 w eeks later --another, both with my house number on them.
    I kept both---just in case!!!
    Last edited by cathidaw; 12-10-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Established Member

Thank you./ATTACH]morning garden (2) copy.jpgMy garden is a big - but pretty muddle. I dabble with it
    The black and white is my favourite pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cathidaw; 12-10-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Your garden is nice and secluded Cathi, and I like the pond with all the little animal statues. How old is the fig tree?

Established Member

6 years old.it was 3'high and a single stem.
    The stone ornaments were not intentional when we dug the pond 17 years ago. I bought an otter-someone said it would deter herons-I don't know whether it does as I have fine strong net over it and doesnt' t show.However I kept having gifts of them so there they are and need a paint job.
    I once had a nymph 4' high, but her head fell off one winter.Now she lurks behind the bushes leaning against the fence with her head cemented on -looking as if she has mumps. My little granddaughter once said she needs a scarf and I can't bin her.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 12-10-2018 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Wow, lucky I actually got a plumber to come out within an hour and a half phoning round this morning.
    My kitchen sink is blocked, so I pretty well needed help after making a few attempts at trying to unblock , I just couldn't free it. So had to phone a plumber and fortunately he is able to come out this morning.

Possibly worth keeping a tool handy Margaret?

Something like either of these...

(Both available quite cheaply, less than a fiver each from Amazon)

The last time I had a blocked sink it was down to Mrs Rs hair! Once I'd removed it, I was actually quite surprised at how clean the U-bend was.

Yes, thanks Rebbonk, I will be at the ready next time, I think Screwfix have those tools you have illustrated, it would have saved a lot of hassle and money. It's horrible to have dishes piled up on the sink and not being able to wash up.