Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Established Member

My washbasin was blocked. My reliable plumber was abroad and it was just before Christmas.I fished around in my garage for some caustic soda I'd had for years. I stuffed it down the plughole until it reached the top, and put the plug in.Nothing happened until about 2 a.m.the following day when there was a frightening thud and gurgling noise which woke us up.I thought the pipe had burst. but no, it was clear. Dangerous stuff but worth keeping in stock....and so cheap.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 27-10-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    My washbasin was blocked. My reliable plumber was abroad and it was just before Christmas.I fished around in my garage for some caustic soda I'd had for years. I stuffed it down the plughole until it reached the top, and put the plug in.Nothing happened until about 2 a.m.the following day night when there was a frightening thud and gurgling noise which woke us up.I thought the pipe had burst. but no, it was clear. Dangerous stuff but worth keeping in stock....and so cheap.

The plumber said I should keep some handy, but I was always a bit uneasy about having caustic soda, as these chemicals can be harmful. That was my way of thinking anyway, so in the past I have used a mixture vinegar & baking soda which was good for when I had a blocked plus hole in the bath, it worked. I have now got 'Buster' which is supposed to prevents block buildup and keep pipes clean. It still has the usual cautionary warnings on, not breathing it In and if you get splashes on your skin, etc. to wash it off, use it with plenty of ventilation. All these warnings, scares the hell out of me. But I shall endeavour to use it regularly.

Nobody told the dog the clocks went back. It was very quiet on our morning walk!

DSCN3536.jpg
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

At least you had more of the day to enjoy!

People are so kind. In town today I tripped on the pavement and fell over, a couple of shop owners and passers by ran to my aid and asked if I was ok. Thankfully I didn't break anything except a broken nail and scraped knees, and slightly embarrassed! But is was a nice feeling that folks were concerned and helped me up. .

Sorry to hear that Margaret. I hope you recover quickly.

I did a good deed myself today. There's a couple walk dogs from the local pub. The lady turned up rather distraught looking for her husband. I sat talking to her until he turned up. To me it would've been wrong to leave a lady in a pub alone. Mrs R was not quite so sympathetic and I got earache for coming home a little later than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Sorry to hear that Margaret. I hope you recover quickly.

I did a good deed myself today. There's a couple walk dogs from the local pub. The lady turned up rather distraught looking for her husband. I sat talking to her until he turned up. To me it would've been wrong to leave a lady in a pub alone. Mrs R was not quite so sympathetic and I got earache for coming home a little later than normal.

Did the lady find her husband?

This morning was a lovely bright morning and I wasn't looking properly where I was going, and tripped on the blooming kerb, done a nose dive on the pavement. You know where the pavements dip then rise again, well I caught my foot on the raised bit, that's what I get for not paying attention.

I need to find a painter and decorator and possible carpet laying too. Any recommendations please? Reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Yes, I stayed with her until he turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Yes, I stayed with her until he turned up.

And they say chivalry is dead!

I often sit and talk to the two of them before they walk the dogs, but (not being sexist) I would have felt uncomfortable leaving her in a pub full of men where she knew nobody.

Established Member

This morning was a lovely bright morning and I wasn't looking properly where I was going, and tripped on the blooming kerb, done a nose dive on the pavement. You know where the pavements dip then rise again, well I caught my foot on the raised bit, that's what I get for not paying attention.
    I remember sitting on a bench in Jephson Gardens when an old man came and sat next to me. He started talking -and getting upset.When I asked him what was wrong He said he couldn't find his wife and started to cry.I didn't know what to do so sat talking to him and sympathizing, saying 'She'll come along soon i'm sure'
    Then a woman came along with a dog, saying 'Oh there you are Dad" and asked if he was pestering me. I said 'Of course not but he's a bit upset , he can't find his wife'.
    She told me that he'd divorced her years ago, but now he's looking for a new one in his old age. I had misunderstood, he must have said "I can't find a wife."
    I left them to it.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 14-11-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    I remember sitting on a bench in Jephson Gardens when an old man came and sat next to me. He started talking -and getting upset.When I asked him what was wrong He said he couldn't find his wife and started to cry.I didn't know what to do so sat talking to him and sympathizing, saying 'She'll come along soon i'm sure'
    Then a woman came along with a dog, saying 'Oh there you are Dad" and asked if he was pestering me. I said 'Of course not but he's a bit upset , he can't find his wife'.
    She told me that he'd divorced her years ago, but now he's looking for a new one in his old age. I had misunderstood, he must have said "I can't find a wife."
    I left them to it.

Cathi, That is funny , but sad at the same time. Little did you know you were being targeted as his next wife, he turned on the tears so you could feel pity for him. It is very sad that they miss their wives so much though.

I think widows are probably more resilient, they just get on with life , maybe some marry again, but that's not for me. I got chatting to a middle aged lady on the bus the other day, she had lost her husband 18 months ago, and she mentioned that he never took her dancing , so now he has gone she goes out dancing, I think its called Line dancing, but good for her , she keeps very active, and goes on coach trips with the dancing club , she is loving it.
    Last edited by margaret; 15-11-2018 at 05:57 AM.

I think widows are probably more resilient, they just get on with life
    I have to agree with you.

Established Member

Cathi, That is funny , but sad at the same time. Little did you know you were being targeted as his next wife, he turned on the tears so you could feel pity for him. It is very sad that they miss their wives so much though.

I think widows are probably more resilient, they just get on with life , maybe some marry again, but that's not for me. I got chatting to a middle aged lady on the bus the other day, she had lost her husband 18 months ago, and she mentioned that he never took her dancing , so now he has gone she goes out dancing, I think its called Line dancing, but good for her , she keeps very active, and goes on coach trips with the dancing club , she is loving it.
    I was only about 20. I think he wanted some elderly widow to look after him. Even if he did want a young piece of stuff,I wouldn't have been any good, being almost out of teenage-and probably still a selfish teenager in my head, although I was halfway through my nursing training at the time and quite responsible.
    Heigh ho...happy days.

Isn't it strange when we still look forward to Friday even when we are retired! We still get that Friday feeling.