Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

I once saw a woman get on the bus after taking her baby out of the buggy. When the driver queried her leaving the buggy, her response was, "I'll tell the social I had it stolen, they'll give me money for another!"
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

That is pretty dishonest so she will get a new one.

The cultural critic, Dr. Theo Dalrimple tells the story of when he was a doctor was called to a house of a young woman one of whose children he had to treat. Looking into the back garden he saw that the whole area was strewn with rubbish. She saw the doctor looking outside and said. '' Oh don't worry about that doctor, I'll phone up the Council to get them to remove it.'' So she couldn't ever be bothered to take personal responsibility to remove her own rubbish or even make an effort because she knew that if she phoned up the council and complained, they would have to remove it.

Just had a bit of a shock. I've just taken some rubbish out to the communal bins for the complex I live in, and a bleeding great rat jumped out of one of the bins, which was overloaded while the others were virtually empty, and scuttled away under the fence of the bin area.
    An email was promptly dispatched to the management company, asking them to remind all the residents not to overfill bins, as I don't want a rat problem!!

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Finebyme View Post
    That is pretty dishonest so she will get a new one.

The cultural critic, Dr. Theo Dalrimple tells the story of when he was a doctor was called to a house of a young woman one of whose children he had to treat. Looking into the back garden he saw that the whole area was strewn with rubbish. She saw the doctor looking outside and said. '' Oh don't worry about that doctor, I'll phone up the Council to get them to remove it.'' So she couldn't ever be bothered to take personal responsibility to remove her own rubbish or even make an effort because she knew that if she phoned up the council and complained, they would have to remove it.
    I was in Nuneaton council house a couple of years ago when I heard a young couple haranguing the people behind the counter because his letter box rattled and let the draught in. And that this was the third time he'd been in about it.
    Poor stupid souls !!
    Last edited by cathidaw; 23-12-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Christmas TV

Whilst I'm not normally a TV watcher, I've been forced to watch a few hours over the holiday period. I can only say that everything I saw was absolute rubbish.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

I wouldn't put it as politely as 'rubbish'. If I wrote what I really thought about the TV over Christmas, I'd have to ban myself from WOL for offensive language!!

Glad I'm not alone in my thoughts Lex.

You're definitely not alone in that!

Established Member

NEW TO ME THIS CHRISTMAS.

Watching about 300 people running into the sea on Christmas morning on Bude beach.Wishing I could have joined them..........all for charity.
    Maybe next year when I shall be walking better..
    Strong brandy sauce on ice cream.
    Chestnuts roasted with Christmas turkey.
    Opening the pineapple gin I made in February.
    Getting there in under 4 hours.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 29-12-2017 at 11:25 PM.

I like the sound of brandy sauce on ice cream, Cathi.

I like the idea of pineapple gin. - Care to share your knowledge Cathi?

Established Member

EASY.
    1 bottle of gin--cheap will do.
    One large pineapple PEELED and chopped
    Half pound of sugar
    one squeezed lemon. or lemon juice

Mix all together and add gin in large bowl or something.
    Cover and leave for six weeks.gently stir every now and again/or when you remember

later stir and strain-fine strainer..Have a bigger bottle ready as it makes ANOTHER HALF PINT or (drink the surplus.) Then when sober again, put away 'til about9 months or more
    With the strained pineapple sediment, allow it to be well strained, put it in a flattish baking tin lined with baking paper and completely cover it with a large bar of gently melted chocolate-I use dark,but any brand, Tesco is cheap.When its set, score and eat it but remember its alcoholic level is high.
    This is the best bit for me.
    This year I shall try plums blackcurrants..any fruit on special offer and try using stem ginger with the initial fruit.
    My son in law used sloes too but hasnt tried it yet.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 31-12-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Thank you Cathi. I fancy having a go at that.

I had a pleasant surprise today. I decided to have a day out in Oxford today, and made use of the Park & Ride; as I boarded the bus to the city centre, I was greeted by a bus driver who actually has some customer service skills!!

I like Oxford, but haven't been there for a while. Last time I went I had a loan car (mine was having warranty work done) and some ******* clipped it in a car park. Luckily, my metal working skills and a bit of T-cut and the damage was all but invisible.

I got back from a few days walking up in Yorkshire this afternoon. Fantastic weather, and some amazing scenery made for a very enjoyable time.