Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Saw my first bumble bee of the year this afternoon - spring is on the way!

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

We also saw a fat bumble bee out foraging. It was a beautiful very spring like warm day too.

Those scratch cards, do people ever win anything on them?

I never buy them - waste of money in my books!

Yes, I would agree Lex, but a certain shop I go in hands them out free when you make a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Those scratch cards, do people ever win anything on them?
    I have never bought one.

I also stopped playing the lottery when they refused the RNLI a grant because 'they didn't save enough people'! Yet they funded illegal immigrants to appeal deportation.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

I think I mentioned my new washing machine which is fine except you can't go out and leave the washing on, as when the cycle finishes it just keeps bleeping, bleep, bleep, bleep, till you get home. What a useless function!

After our discussion about washing machines, ours decided to play up. We had a new one delivered yesterday (Zanussi again) and it looks to be pretty good.

It also beeps at the end of the wash, but the beep can be turned permanently off by pressing a couple of buttons.

Could you use the 'nightwash' feature Margaret if you want to go out? - That usually doesn't bleep. Also, by doing an internet search on make and model you might find a way of turning the bleep off. I found the turn off instructions buried deep in the manual, where I wouldn't have expected to!

How long did you have your last washing machine rebbonk. it seems to have packed up too soon. What make was it?

My present one is a Zanussi Lindo100. It doesn't appear to have a 'night wash' option. It has a short cycle at 30 degrees, Cottons, at higher temps. Eco cycle . Synthetics, Delicates, Wool/Handwash, and a quick refresh 20 minute, refresh cycle. with 3 spin options.
    However, I did manage to consult my manual and discovered that I can deactivate the acoustic bleeps/signals, by pressing the Programme and Temperature buttons together for about 4 seconds. But in the event of the appliance malfunctioning, the bleep signal will still operate.
    So, next Time I do a wash I shall follow the instructions and deactivate the bleep.
    Good job you prompted me to search my manual. Thanks.
    Last edited by margaret; 24-03-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Hi Margaret, the old one was over 10 years old and had taken one heck of a hammering, so I wasn't overly upset at it having to go. The inlet valve block failed and it was going to cost me £40 for parts, plus the bearings were starting to rumble and I wasn't about to change them myself.

Glad you found out how to disable the bleep. We've bought the Lindo300, mainly because of the animals and so that we can wash our own duvets.

Just wondering why some motorists have their car lights on in the day time?

Daylight running lights.

Supposedly makes it easier to see them (rather like motorbikes with their headlamps on). I remain to be convinced.

An interesting fact here is that some vehicles have front only lights whilst others have both front and rear. These lights come on as soon as the ignition is activated and it is not exactly unheard of for drivers to drive home at night with only lights to the front of the vehicle!

My BMW is equipped with them, but as it isn't law for a vehicle as old as mine to have them, I've had them turned off.

More here RAC

Thank you for the comprehensive link , rebbonk, I forgot to mention that I don't drive, I hate being in the dark about something, hence the question of DRL's.

I noticed that some cars must be using their Led lights at night, because the are so bright and blinding, so I'm not sure if that is a good thing to also replace them for the normal headlights.

I'm not sure about the legality of LED lights at night, I thought they had to be turned off, but I could be wrong. I do know though, that plenty of people fail their MOT every year because they have tampered with their lights.

It's the silly craze of turning on one spot lamp when turning that drives me mad. How that is legal is beyond me.

Here's a true tale about people messing with car lights....

We were in the process of changing our headlamp lenses from glass to plastic. Although ease of manufacture and styling reasons were given, the change was driven by cost.

At the same time, many aftermarket sources started introducing very bright 'white' bulbs, which allegedly made driving safer at night.

Neither we, nor any other manufacturer, had anticipated these bulbs being fitted into our new headlamps.

I think every manufacturer suddenly had a glut of headlamp lens failures. - They became brittle and simply shattered. The reason was the ultraviolet light emitted by the new bulbs attacked the plastic lenses. Oddly enough, the old glass ones weren't affected. More than a few customers were upset when we refused to replace them under warranty as they'd used bulbs that were out of our specification. - Quite an expensive repair!

Well, I'm in the doghouse!

Before I retired last night, I put all the clocks forward, apart from that alarm clock, which for some inexplicable reason I put back! Result, no hot water today! I am not popular as apparently 'cool' showers are not her thing. Ho hum!