Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Did you see that horrible thunderstorm, the continuous lightning kept me awake! I think we are in for more.

Yes, we had the storm down our way too. Fortunately, it didn't last too long, and I managed to get back to sleep.

Dog didn't like it according to Mrs R. I have no idea, I was sound asleep.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Anyone good at maths?

Many branches of that particular topic Margaret, but I used to teach some. Try me?

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Many branches of that particular topic Margaret, but I used to teach some. Try me?
    Thanks Rebbonk, it my son really. He is preparing to Maths funcional skills City & Guilds.

Happy to help. Been a loooong time since I did C&G

I had a rather pleasant experience this evening; I had a seized up tap which I couldn't fix myself, so I called a plumbing/electrical company I've used before to have a look at it. He turned up on time, took the tap apart, sorted the problem, put it back together, and didn't even charge me the full call-out fee!

I hate plumbing Lex. If you get it wrong, water does so much damage.

When it started to look like it was a bigger job than just taking the top off & trying to loosen the mechanism up with pliers/WD40, I thought I'd get someone who knew what they were doing in!

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I had a rather pleasant experience this evening; I had a seized up tap which I couldn't fix myself, so I called a plumbing/electrical company I've used before to have a look at it. He turned up on time, took the tap apart, sorted the problem, put it back together, and didn't even charge me the full call-out fee!

Let me know that company , Lex.

Not sure if they've got a website, but here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Heatrix-400...rofile_browser

Getting our new garden fence up today. I wonder how long it will last.

I bought a smal bedside l cabinet from Wayfair online. Something I vowed never to do, but I did and got a bit stung! The cabinet was supposed to come all assembled as stated on the description, but no it was not, I came all in bits as a flat pack. Well, I never seen such a cheap jack shody crap in all my life , it looks nice but not the usual good standard wood, I like to buy, the sides are MDF, the top is supposed to be oak. Anyway, I decided to phone the company freephone, and explained that it came as a flat pack contrary to their product description which states no assembly needed! Grrrrr! Anyhow the decided to offer it me for half price , which I accepted, and since it was not a very expensive item, I thought ok, I'll keep it. It would save all the hassle them coming to collect. Anyway it is now assembled but the drawer is not a tight fit. I don't care anymore , I give up!
    I hate ordering stuff on the internet and won't have anything to do with it! My stupid fault, Mea Maxima Culpa! I have had better solid oak and walnut cabinets for the price this one was originally advertised at. I'm glad I phoned them up , at least I got it half price, and that's all its worth.
    Last edited by margaret; 14-08-2019 at 09:36 AM.

I bought our last two sofas from Wayfair Margaret. To be honest, I've no complaints, I got what I consider to be fair value for money. I refuse to buy expensive stuff with Mrs R having animals jump all over things.

Furniture is so cheaply made these days, I often think you're better off buying older stuff from the 'antique' markets.

But as you say, there's no substitute for seeing your prospective purchase in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I bought our last two sofas from Wayfair Margaret. To be honest, I've no complaints, I got what I consider to be fair value for money. I refuse to buy expensive stuff with Mrs R having animals jump all over things.

Furniture is so cheaply made these days, I often think you're better off buying older stuff from the 'antique' markets.

But as you say, there's no substitute for seeing your prospective purchase in the flesh.
    Yes, you're right Rebbonk, some of the old antique furniture is solid and best, if you can find it at a good price. I know someone who only buys antique stuff, he has a beautiful 100 year old table. Do you remember the store, Multi York? I purchased a pieces of furniture from them in the sales, beautiful solid wood , and lovely oak coffee table, a bit heavy but solid. It will see us out. I bought it years ago in when living in Bromley. Pity they have gone out of business now. There is nothing like browsing a good furniture store.

Lately, in Warwick Antiques, I bought a lovely 1930's tallish wooden lamp stand , came with the shade as well. lovely and quite ornate, but it has the old fashioned flex on it, It works fine but I don't know how safe it is using the old flex. I will upload a picture see what you think.
    Last edited by margaret; 14-08-2019 at 03:11 PM.