Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

It's true. I guess it's years of conditioning. Though I have to admit, I often don't actually know what day it is!
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Mrs R is a little down at the moment. Her ex-husband died Monday, just 2 days after his 72nd birthday. - They've been divorced 30 years, but he is the father of her children: I think she's entitled to feel a little sorry, and he didn't make a fuss when she wanted a divorce.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

It is always very sad when someone you knew has passed away. Did they remain friends after the divorce?
    Age 72 doesn't seem that old these days.

They weren't enemies but I'd not say they were exactly friends. He rang Mrs R in distress when his girlfriend's husband topped himself!

No, 72 isn't exactly old, but it seems pretty common. My own dad went at 72.

The week has continued to go down-hill though. My mum (90) had to have the ambulance service out yesterday. They've made her comfortable, but I can only see more problems ahead.

The week has continued to go down-hill though. My mum (90) had to have the ambulance service out yesterday. They've made her comfortable, but I can only see more problems ahead.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear sorry to hear that , Rebbonk, was she in a nursing home?

No Margaret, she still at home, my brother cares for her. But it's beginning to get too much for him. I go round as often as necessary to help him lift her etc. (she's a big woman).

The ambulance crew filed a report to her doctor after yesterday's visit and the doctor has spoken to my brother today. I'm going round later so I'll learn more. But in truth, I believe she'd be better off in a home. Trouble is, she's very stubborn!

Established Member

I went for a review last week-you know blood pressure and a 'how are you? - (as if they care).the nurse asked if I have a BP monitor.When I said yes she said why don't you do it yourself and I''l give you a form to fill in. She got up and opened the door.
    A few months ago I waited half an hour after my appointed time to see the doctor. then afterwards I said " I have a question to ask you doctor"
    He said I had to make another appointment as my time was up.(I think he said my 7 minutes were up.)

I'm laughing as I write this. unbelievable almost.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 08-12-2018 at 01:16 AM.

�� The cheeky blighter! If that was me , i would have asked him anyway, and stated that you waited half an our over your time, so it wouldn't take him half a minute to answer your question.

I am posting with my ipad and it is a horrible strain on the eyes! MY laptop is in for repair, will need a new screen, if they can get one.
    I can't stand using ipads,which are well named as i will end up needing to wear eye pads , due to strain and god knows what kind of damage the glare from these small screens may cause.
    Last edited by margaret; 08-12-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    He said I had to make another appointment as my time was up.(I think he said my 7 minutes were up.)
    That's the second time this week I've heard a tale like this. - It's not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    I can't stand using ipads,which are well named as i will end up needing to wear eye pads , due to strain and god knows what kind of damage the glare from these small screens may cause.
    I have an iPad. I'm not over keen on it, many 'simple' tasks are incredibly fiddly. But the knack with the brightness is to turn it right down and turn the auto brightness off. We used to do this with the CAD terminals to prevent eye-strain.

I only use mine as a kindle reader if I can help it.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    I am posting with my ipad and it is a horrible strain on the eyes! MY laptop is in for repair, will need a new screen, if they can get one.
    I did but he shook my hand and walked to the door with me
    From now on IF i FEEL ILL--ISH I SHALL CALL THE OUT OF HOURS DOC.i'M LOOKING FOR ANOTHER.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I have an iPad. I'm not over keen on it, many 'simple' tasks are incredibly fiddly. But the knack with the brightness is to turn it right down and turn the auto brightness off. We used to do this with the CAD terminals to prevent eye-strain.

I only use mine as a kindle reader if I can help it.
    i HAVE A NEW KEYBOARD WHICH DOESN'T APPEAR TO LIKE 'P's,SO i HAVE TO CHECK WHAT i WRITE.nOW IT DOESNT LIKE lower case. When I can get out- You're going back mate!.

I find keyboards last me about 2 years. - They do get a bit of a hammering. I reckon to replace a keyboard once on every laptop. I won't replace a second time, I'll replace the laptop as at that stage the laptop is usually past its best.

The current keyboard was allegedly the same as the one it was intended to replace. - It wasn't! I use it in US mode 99% of the time. But, it does have an interesting fault. You only have to kiss the letter B with your finger and it places a string of Bs on the screen. Thankfully B is not a letter I use very often!

Oh the joys of computing!

Thanks Rebbonk, i did manage to turn off auto bright and also turned down the brightness a bit, it is a lot better but wouldnt want to spend too long on it. Trying to correct errrors is pain in the head!

����

On a different note , a question i want to ask is; WHat is the correct way of saying Mancetter, is it pronounced like ManSetter or ManChetter?
    I ask because someone i know may be moving there. Thanks.