Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

We used to be told that school days were the best days of our lives. For some of us the answer to that remark was a definite NO and rebbonk your comment sums it up nicely....

"Can't say I miss school at all and I've never been tempted to go back for a reunion."

My sentiments exactly. If I was interested in a subject I gave it full attention but if the subject was maths beyond the basics and you start turning them into what looks like Egyptian hieroglyphics then my brain switched off from it and went on excursions out of the window until dragged back by the sound of a piece of chalk making a landing. Along with my sister my parents didn't believe you needed to educate girls beyond age 15 because they would finish up getting married and all that money would be wasted. At 15 I was off to work and to be honest, was a lot happier doing that that having a teacher try and drum hieroglyphics into a brain that wasn't interested. I continued my education in the School of Life and I am still learning!
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Shizara View Post
    ...I am still learning!
    Life-long learning.

It's a rare day I don't learn something. Today I learned to compile shopping lists properly, or I forget things!
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Well, I was thinking I could brush up on the only other language I learnt years ago which was German, So If I do a refresher course and get back up to decent conversational level, that would be something. Grammar has always been why sticking point , but I'll work on it.
    I know there is a French group, in town who have regular meet ups at the Temperance Cafe and other venues, I shall make enquires about German.
    I would love to have studied French, but I don't feel like starting all over again, so I'll just brush up on German. I wanted to do Punjabi too, but can't find anywhere local that teaches it. It is hard though.

I'll just tinkle about on the piano as well.
    Margaret, I stumbled on this and thought you might be interested...

http://www.openculture.com/free_german_lessons

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Margaret, I stumbled on this and thought you might be interested...

http://www.openculture.com/free_german_lessons

That's wonderful, thank you Rebbonk, it looks great! No excuse now.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Change of subject.... I recently purchased what they call an 'obelisk' it is really a support for plants that either you can place in the garden or in a planter tub. I ordered it from Black Country Metalworks UK. thinking I was supporting British business. Mean time whilst awaiting delivery , I did a search to see if any other supplier did this kind of plant supporter obelisk, and I found it on Wayfair website, which stated that it was made in China. Black Country Metalworks told me it was made by one of their suppliers in the UK. So... whom do I believe. When I questioned the Black counrtry metal works about this they got a bit ratty with me.

Item purchased From Black Country Metalworks.
    I bought the large one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by margaret; 29-05-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Change of subject.... I recently purchased what they call an 'obelisk' it is really a support for plants that either you can place in the garden or in a planter tub. I ordered it from Black Country Metalworks UK. thinking I was supporting British business. Mean time whilst awaiting delivery , I did a search to see if any other supplier did this kind of plant supporter obelisk, and I found it on Wayfair website, which stated that it was made in China. Black Country Metalworks told me it was made by one of their suppliers in the UK. So... whom do I believe. When I questioned the Black counrtry metal works about this they got a bit ratty with me.

Item purchased From Black Country Metalworks.
    I bought the large one.

This is the same one advertised on Wayfair website, and in the details , it says made in China.
    It looks exactly the same item to me. Exactly the same photo.
    https://www.wayfair.co.uk/Bloomsbury...95&PID=8280252

Last edited by margaret; 29-05-2020 at 05:16 PM.

- Lord Byron.

Think you might have hit a nerve with Black Country Metalworks, Margaret.

So... whom do I believe.
    I think we know, don't we?

I've never heard of Black Country Metal but I've used Wayfair and to be honest, they were perfect to deal with.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 30-05-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Black Country Metal works are situated in Oswestry.
    Having been told that the item I bought was made by their local works , they went on to say, that they can't disclose the names of their local works suppliers.

''We don't disclose the names of our workshop suppliers as they normally only cater for trade businesses. If you have any issues with the item you have purchased, please give our customer services team a ring on 0800 6888 368 to discuss.''

This is why I do not like ordering online, but in this case I do not live near a Garden Centre and I dare say they are all closed until further notice. I live near Morrisons which do have a lovely plant and garden selection, but not these obelisks.
    it is to support a Clematis I bought.

So much for me being silly and naive thinking I 'm supporting local business!

- Lord Byron.

Who is hitting the town today?
    I'm, going to see if Waterstones is open.

- Lord Byron.

I did my usual Monday shop at the Arena. Tesco was no busier than it's been over the last few weeks and the other shops that were open didn't exactly seem to be doing a roaring trade. But, I was up and about just after 10AM.

What is the general opinion of electric cars, which seem to be the thing of the future?

- Lord Byron.

I'm not convinced - electric cars are just shifting pollution somewhere else, plus there's issues with battery capacity (and the cost!), mining enough rare earth minerals, range of the cars etc.....

I'm a fan of classic cars. We've already polluted making them, so why replace them needlessly?

As regards electric vehicles, there will be pollution making them, pollution creating fuel for them, and I heavily suspect that there will be pollution from using them if only continued rubber particles from the tyres. Though, electric motors (depending on the type) give off ozone and at a low level that ain't good.

Then there's the support infrastructure. Maybe OK in towns, but in the countryside/wilds?

I'll stick with petrol, thanks.

Its not easy to type with two fingers in Elastoplast, and sprain to my wrist.
    While out shopping I stupidly tripped up the pavement again! Fell flat and of course hands go out to save myself. I'm ok really except for the inconvenience of having to work slower at typing, peeling spuds, wearing disposable gloves etc..

- Lord Byron.

Oh Margaret!

Take care.