Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Apparently a lot of birds die off during the winter, partly due to a lack of grain/seeds left in fields after harvest because of changes in farming practices.

I fill a bird feeder on my allotment once or twice a week to give them a bit to eat. The local robin is always 1st to turn up!

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Nice to have an allotment , Lex.
    I feed the garden birds too. The blackbirds love grapes and apple and, and scraps of pastry, etc.
    My neighbour had to give up with her hanging bird feeder because the pigeons and squirrels ruined it.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

It's an interesting hobby, and the veg. I grow tastes a lot better than the stuff I get from the supermarket.

Oh dear! Which muppet is in charge?

Britain’s National Grid warned on Monday the country’s electricity supply margins are expected to be tight this week.

“We’re forecasting tight margins on the electricity system this week (from tomorrow onwards) owing to a combination of weather-related factors and unavailability of power sources over periods of the day with higher demand,” National Grid Electricity System Operator (ESO) said via twitter.

Several of the country’s nuclear power plants are currently offline, while there are also forecasts for low output from Britain’s wind farms over the coming days.
    Source:
    Reuters

And this is with half the country closed down! Electric cars anyone?
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

On a few occasions I have had dead voice mails. I go into listen to vioce mail message, and there is no message , not a sound. I have blocked the number, Is there normally a charge to access voice mails ?
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

No, you don't normally get charged for listening to voicemails, Margaret.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    No, you don't normally get charged for listening to voicemails, Margaret.
    Thats good Lex, did wonder about that . But next time I'll just delete it.
    This morning I got a dead call on my landline. Must have been a ghost.

- Lord Byron.

Haha! I've heard that a lot of these cold calling companies use automatic dialling systems that don't always connect the call to an operator.

They have a system that dials out several numbers at once, when one call is answered the others (likely yours) are abandoned. I think it's actually illegal to use the system in this country, but, of course, many will originate overseas.

Had a couple of beauties this morning. Two calls in rapid succession telling me that I had taken out Amazon Prime at a cost of £79.99. If I had made a mistake, please press 1; if I was happy about what I'd done, please press 2. I wonder how many fall for it?

Apparently, I'm a victim of fraud involving my National Insurance number at the minute.

Now, that sounds interesting, Lex.

This one, perchance?

Scotsman

Dreadful news about that poor girl Sarah Everard from , London.
    Her body was found in woodland , in Ashford ,Kent. She was kidnapped and murdered by a police officer! He should swing from the gallows for this.

Every parents nightmare, they must be devastated.

- Lord Byron.

Steady on, Margaret. I don't think he's been charged yet, let alone convicted. And I don't think the remains have been positively identified.

I'm against capital punishment as we've got things wrong so many times in the past. We can release and compensate a prisoner, it's not quite so easy once we've taken a life. And despite advances in forensics, it's still a long way from perfect. Our legal system is also an adversarial one rather than being one seeking the truth.

I do agree that what appears to have happened is truly dreadful and yes, an absolute nightmare. It's pretty grim all round.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 12-03-2021 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Steady on, Margaret. I don't think he's been charged yet, let alone convicted. And I don't think the remains have been positively identified.

I'm against capital punishment as we've got things wrong so many times in the past. We can release and compensate a prisoner, it's not quite so easy once we've taken a life. And despite advances in forensics, it's still a long way from perfect. Our legal system is also an adversarial one rather than being one seeking the truth.

I do agree that what appears to have happened is truly dreadful and yes, an absolute nightmare. It's pretty grim all round.
    Ok, Rebbonk, I understand where you are coming from, I don't want to jump the gun and point fingers. It's the emotions talking.
    But the police have named the suspect being investigated.
    All very disturbing.

PC Wayne Couzens has been arrested on suspicion of the kidnap and murder of Everard. He has also been arrested on suspicion of an indecent exposure involving another woman, and this is the incident that will be investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

Cop Wayne Couzens, 48, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and kidnap while his wife Elena has been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.
    Last edited by margaret; 12-03-2021 at 04:30 AM.

- Lord Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Now, that sounds interesting, Lex.

This one, perchance?

Scotsman
    Yes, that's the one.