Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

It's a hard life, Rebbonk!

rebbonk

Oh it is!

*mutters jealously*

rebbonk

Mrs R hasn't been well, so asked me on Tuesday to go and collect her repeat prescription from the local chemist. I traipsed down there, muttering to myself about all sorts of things, especially about how far it was, and that the pub wasn't open yet. After waiting in line, the chemist himself asked me what he could do for me. I requested the prescription. He walked to the rear of the shop, coming back a few minutes later telling me that the prescription would be ready for collection first thing on Thursday. I was a bit disgruntled, but such is life and I went off on my merry little way.

On returning home, Mrs R asked me where her prescription was. I related the tale and she let rip into me. I was a silly, stupid, hopeless, useless man; the prescription would have been in the front drawers not at the rear, the chemist was an idiot and I should have spoken to the very nice girl with the dark hair who knows where things are. Ah, she's feeling better I thought! I retired to my favourite chair, pulled out a book and quietly lost myself in it whilst Mrs R continued to berate me, the world and everything in it!

Roll forward to Wednesday evening. I persuaded my little piranha fish to come for a drink with me. I would walk the dog, she would go to the chemist and get her prescription and we would meet up at the pub for a couple of drinks. As I sat outside the pub waiting for her, the dog was giving me quizzical looks. I explained to him (not that was really interested) that he had to wait for mum because she didn't like walking into pubs on her own. His tail started wagging as he saw mum walking down the road. Oddly though, she was carrying a plastic bag.

We entered the pub, and I settled Mrs R with the dog and went to the bar. Setting the drinks down, I asked her why the bag? Surely her prescription would fit in her pocket? Again, I was told just how useless men are and invited to look in the bag. I did. Two sets of repeat prescriptions! Apparently, the useless chemist had ordered again on Tuesday, but there was a prescription already there for collection and if I'd have spoken to the dark haired girl none of this would have happened.

Deciding it was likely best not to argue, I took a deep swig of my beer and politely muttered, "yes my dear."

Haha! I love your stories rebbonk!

Default Dry Cleaning

What method to dry cleaners actually use to 'dry' clean ?

I got a pair of curtains dry cleaned and it was ridiculously expensive, I also think they faded slightly.
    I reckon I can clean them myself one at a time in the washing machine.
    Last edited by Finebyme; 11-03-2017 at 02:54 AM.

rebbonk

To be honest, the cost of dry cleaning makes me take a gamble with my own washing machine. I've not got it wrong yet. However, my mother ruined many of her fathers' ties by ignoring the advice to dry clean.

I think if I put the curtains on gentle wash cycle , like the wool wash, they should be ok. I shall try that next time. I can put one in at a time. It won't matter much if they shrink just a couple of inches, There is plenty of material of fullness and length.
    Last edited by Finebyme; 11-03-2017 at 02:55 AM.

cathidaw

I believe manufacturers safeguard themselves by the label. If your curtains have faded , go back to the cleaners and discuss it.The spirit based stuff is rather harsh and I'm surprised they still use it i these hi-tech days. Ties are quite different.I made one for an exam once at college-horrid thing-so many bits and so many bias pieces. Never meant to be washed. Mine was never used.
    Ever tried ironing one? A very scientific process- so Dont!

rebbonk

I had a mate once work for a very well known high street dry cleaners. Apparently, they 'lost' a few stripes on a light coloured jacket during their cleaning process. He swears to this day, that when the customer complained, a manager drew the stripes back on with a ballpoint pen!

Sounds far fetched maybe. Do they use chemicals to dry clean with?

ps. I should have put this thread in, Over the Garden Fence chat. Maybe move there Rebbonk.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Finebyme View Post
    ps. I should have put this thread in, Over the Garden Fence chat. Maybe move there Rebbonk.
    As requested

Quote Originally Posted by Finebyme View Post
    Sounds far fetched maybe. Do they use chemicals to dry clean with?
    My belief is that they use tetrachloroethylene (or they used to). It's not the nicest of chemicals and we used to use it a lot on aircraft. It didn't half whip the natural oils out of your skin, but perversely it was a pleasant feeling liquid to put your hand in. From memory, it also destroyed many 'cheap' plastics.

Thank you Rebbonk.

Does anyone know of any local beekeepers? I'm looking for local bee keepers/honey farm so that i can order direct.
    Thanks.

These guys might be able to point you in the right direction: https://warwickshirebeekeepers.org.uk/

I found local honey thanks , Lex.