Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

The stratford Canal tow path is in generally good condition, although there are a couple of stretches where you can get ankle deep in mud, even if there hasn't been any rain for a few days.

rebbonk

Well, he got me up before 8 this morning and wanted taking out. We got soaked! still, I'll not shrink and now he's had his breakfast he's spark out on the living-room floor. He does smell damp though, despite a good towelling down. - I bet Mrs Rebbonk gives me grief when she eventually surfaces.

Margaret

Is anyone still hearing fireworks around them?
    I'm sitting here still listening to banger, rockets, crackles, sonic booms, and gawd knows what else.
    I've had enough now. I think people must have too much money to burn.
    Maybe they should all go down to Parliament and do the job properly.
    Getting old.

rebbonk

We had a few on the 5th, the odd one or two last night and not many tonight. I was beginning to think people were feeling the pinch a little.

Of course, we've got Diwali just around the corner, so I guess we can expect a few then.

I'm of the mind that fireworks ought be like they were in the 60s. One night only unless you had a special permit, and never on Sunday!

There were a few round my way. on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. thankfully, they weren't going off late enough to keep me awake.

Well, I was on an evening walk by the river in Alcester earlier, and just happened to glance to my left and - much to my amazement - I saw the back end of a grass snake disappear into the undergrowth! A very exciting (and slightly scary!) sight - that was the 1st time I'd ever seen one.

rebbonk

We get all sorts along the canal Lex. I've not seen adders, but apparently they are there. I often talk to fishermen and they see some quite rare animals when they're sitting quiet.

Can't say I like snakes, in fact, they scare me rigid!

I was glad it was slithering away from me; even though grass snakes are harmless, it would've made me feel very uncomfortable if it was heading towards me!

Years ago, I walked a bit into the Blue Mountains in Australia with some family who were living there. I was apprehensive knowing Australia's track record for snakes and other creepy things. Whilst it was an experience in itself I was still like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for a snake to come slithering out. I am pleased to say I didn't see any although it doesn't mean they weren't there.
    Cool

Is it me, or is autumn starting to creep up on us? Over the last few days, I've seen a few leaves starting to turn brown on trees, and more being blown about on roads & paths.

rebbonk

I've noticed the nights drawing in very rapidly.

Yes , and I'll be another year older soon. Time goes by too quickly.

Yes, it does - I've already started my Christmas shopping!

rebbonk

Christmas shopping? What is that? I send money in cards these days

What's everyone up to this weekend? For me, it's the usual round of housework & food shopping, and maybe a cheeky trip to the pub!

rebbonk

I still have a heater to break up (it'll take me about 6 months!), but other than that I'm walking the dog, having a few pints and likely sleeping a lot. - Tough being retired isn't it?