Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

I think we are at the end of a very short summer. lots of rain.

I had one of those technician scam callers telling me that my internet is running slow..... yeah right! Nothing wrong with it at all.. What I would like to know is, how do they know what Provider I have?
    Anyway the caller who spoke in a very broken English accent understood the universal language I used when I told him bluntly where to go and what to do with himself.
    I am so tired of these time wasters! But what gets me is how they know your internet provider and phone no.
    Last edited by margaret; 30-09-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I'm afraid many ISPs used very insecure overseas call centres as a cost-saving. It came back to bite them, but your details are still out there. I use a different ISP to phone provider so it's not quite so easy for them to tie the two together.

On a slightly different subject, daughter has badgered me into buying an iPhone. What a pain to set up!
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

That is a good idea to have a different phone provider. I don't know though if it would work out a bit more expensive .

Why would the call centre overseas call me , surely they are lying about my internet speed and service?
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Margaret, it's a little more expensive but not prohibitive. That said my ISP has just informed me my costs are going up a whopping £2.50 from next month! - I ain't happy!

The call you had was ultimately to get money from you. There are several ways of doing this, these two are the most common...

1) They offer to run a diagnostics for you at a very reasonable cost. - You kindly give them your credit card or banking details.

2) They offer to run a diagnostics for free and install 'naughty' software on your computer. This software might pass on your financial details or it might simply 'lock' your computer and hold it to ransom. In order to do this, they will ask you to give them control of your computer. - Always a good warning that something might not be quite right.

You did the best thing. If I have the time, and if I can be bothered, I'll play the daft old b*gger and keep them on the phone for as long as I can. - But I rarely get such calls since I've split the phone line from the ISP.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 01-10-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Guess what I had this morning?

"I am Sandra calling from BT Openreach about your internet!"

"Oh, really? That sounds interesting."

[Click]

Either I'm losing my touch, or they're getting cuter! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Guess what I had this morning?

"I am Sandra calling from BT Openreach about your internet!"

"Oh, really? That sounds interesting."

[Click]

Either I'm losing my touch, or they're getting cuter! LOL

LOL! You know your'e getting old when you run out of chat up lines, rebbonk!

- Lord Byron.

Well, I've just found out 'frost free' freezers aren't! I removed more ice than sank the Titanic.

Jokes apart, it's only about the 4th time it's been defrosted in over 30 years. Maybe that almost qualifies?

It's a pet hate.. Defrosting freezers. Every time I have to do it I keep promising myself a frost free model. I look at the under counter freezer and try and decide if I can fit a taller one in as it is not actually sitting under a counter but previous dramas of replacing the under counter fridge, having to unpackage it, get it into place and adjust the level is a pain in the you know what for one person, so, I clean up the current freezer and carry on.
    Cool

A tip for you Shizara...

Under counter appliances slide quite well if you put a spot of washing up liquid under their feet. - Works wonders with my washing machine.

Ahh.. Appreciate that tip - thank you!
    Cool

Cloudy over the Bank Holiday weekend, but at least it won't be peeing down with rain: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...-ruin-23819058

According to Meteoblue (the weather website that I use) Sunday might be a bit on the damp side, and Monday evening into Tuesday morning might offer a few spots.

I'm not planning anything, except a wander down the local for a couple of pints Monday afternoon.

Spring's definitely here - heard my first Cuckoo on a walk this afternoon!

I have just been sent this, I laughed out loud.

Great sketch - never seen that one before.

Looks like we might be in for a bit of a heatwave next week - time to get the sun lotion back out!