Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Oh yes!

I spent a lot of my working life helping my mate out who was head of corporate security. You wouldn't believe what I hid cameras in!

My advice would be to mount cameras high as possible, people don't seem to look up for some reason.

What you need to think about is 1) the quality of the images, and 2) where will you store the digital footage? Automatically uploaded to the cloud would be my preference.

A further point is that you aren't supposed to release footage into the public domain: something that many people don't realise.

Mmmm, something to think about Rebbonk, thanks.

We might just go for an outdoor security light, or I was joking to my husband a few gin traps at the back of the house.
    Trouble is a fox or cat might get caught in them instead of would be burglars.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Security lights definitely deter miscreants.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Security lights definitely deter miscreants.

Agreed!
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Wink

Now into October, who's got their heating on? we haven't yet except for heating up the water.

- Lord Byron.

Not turned mine on yet. The cat is dropping unsubtle hints (creeping under the bed covers when I'm asleep) but the dog's still lying around panting. - And I've just had warning that my electricity charges are going up by almost 10%!

So much for the winter fuel allowance, it won't go far!

- Lord Byron.

They told me gas prices were going down. - I don't have gas.

However, that being the case, we use gas to produce electricity so why are electricity prices rising? Just wait until we are reliant on electric vehicles!

Anyone interested in our electricity generation status can check here...

GRIDWATCH

Could it be that what is happening here is that the electricity is expensive because there is not a simple trade off between gas inputs and electric output because we are paying heavily for the renewables? As I understand it, we have our own gas from the North Sea fields, which means there is quite a cheap tariff , but what could be happening here is that the gas is subsidising the renewables and green component of the electricity. So a kind of sleight of hand is going on. We are all being sold a bill of goods that the 'green' stuff and the renewables is all cheap in the future etc, etc. and politically correct, but we are paying high prices for it because it is not efficient and also losing the benefit of our own North Sea gas fields.
    Sorry but I am a cynic.
    Last edited by margaret; 03-10-2020 at 05:45 AM.

- Lord Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    Sorry but I am a cynic.
    That makes 2 of us!

The usual corporate line is 'the gas itself is only part of the equation; we still have to pipe it to people & pay our staff'.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    How can I tell a neighbour her barking dog is doing my nut in?

I do want to keep it neighbourly by suggesting she gets one of those collars that stops dogs barking. I don't quite know how they work.

The dog is a female Jack Russel, she is a perfectly good dog when you make a fuss of her.
    But she just hates being left alone in the garden, so she will bark and bark until her owner comes home.
    What worries me is can a good natured dog turn aggressive if it is left to bark for 2 hours every morning?
    Keeping records of 'events' is something councils seem to like when making complaints about noisy dogs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Keeping records of 'events' is something councils seem to like when making complaints about noisy dogs etc.
    I think she has someone to look after her dog now, when she is at work. Thankfully, but some mornings it is let out and barks like hell. I wonder if those electronic dog collars work, it is supposed to make the dog stop barking.

- Lord Byron.

Now we can't have our usual coffee meet ups in Marks & Spencers as they have the track and trace app , they insist on customers using the app or fill in a survey form. Sod that for a lark!

If someone is notified having used the app, that they must self isolate because they themselves or someone in the premises where they have been had tested positive, then what I don't understand is how they can follow up and check if someone breaches this by going out and leaves their phone at home?
    There are reports that the technology is simply crashing with the overload and I can't see how this testing can ever get off the ground, so to speak.
    Last edited by margaret; 07-10-2020 at 03:53 PM.

- Lord Byron.

My local pub uses pen and paper!

I have no objection to giving my phone number, but will refuse (on security grounds) to give my address.

What is interesting is just how many are giving false contact details.

My local pub uses pen and paper!

I have no objection to giving my phone number, but will refuse (on security grounds) to give my address.

What is interesting is just how many are giving false contact details.
    That's exactly what I said to my husband. It is bound to happen. How on earth can they be traced!

- Lord Byron.

I did ask the barman if he'd had any outright refusals. He admitted that he had and had just told people to write anything down so he complied with the law. Apparently, we have several Micky Mouses live locally!