Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

rebbonk

Lex, I used to do a lot of after hours courses. I was virtually guaranteed to fall asleep. Thing was, I snore!

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Hope you didn't need any translators.
    It was always fun with the Japanese ( who despite popular opinion, never did own us!)

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Lex, I used to do a lot of after hours courses. I was virtually guaranteed to fall asleep. Thing was, I snore!
    Fortunately, I don't snore - there's generally someone else in the meeting who does though!

Margaret

That's me back from church, we stopped off for a coffee and a snack in the Priors and what do I see coming down the escalator, a bloke and his girl covered in tattoos arms neck face, shaven head, he had a T-shirt on with a large upside down cross on the front and on the back of his T-shirt had written, Worship Satan. Oh well, if that's what satan has done for him, then I don't want to know, hahahaa! I'm afraid the last laugh will be on him, sad actually.

Took the opportunity of the lovely weather and mowed the grass. Like every body does, you hear mowers everywhere.
    Last edited by Margaret; 09-04-2014 at 03:07 PM.

rebbonk

Oh well, to each his own Margaret! To be fair, that type of thing is quite common around Coventry, but it ain't nice. A few years back, as a bit of a joke after we'd had a meet at the University, I took a mate into a pub known for that type of thing. Poor chap has never come back to Coventry! He was actually rendered speechless by what he saw.

I notice our lawn could do with a bit of a trim, it's been a couple of weeks since it saw the mower. However, since we have a big dog, I don't like cutting it too short.

Margaret

[QUOTE=.

I notice our lawn could do with a bit of a trim, it's been a couple of weeks since it saw the mower. However, since we have a big dog, I don't like cutting it too short.[/QUOTE]

Why is that Rebbonk?

rebbonk

I find that dog urine tends to scorch and kill off very short grass, by leaving it that bit longer it stays nice and green. So much so that the lovely dark shade is the envy of my neighbours, who stupidly keep cutting theirs so short that it exposes the roots!

BTW, have you met my girl?

Look at this, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth!

2867_176919275477_790189_n.jpg

Oh yes...

2610_169561735477_4329131_n.jpg
    Last edited by rebbonk; 09-04-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Margaret

She's lovely, looks like she lets you know whose boss .

rebbonk

From day 1 she's had her own way.

She was in poor shape when we got her, but has responded nicely over the years. She's gotten me into lots of trouble with Mrs Rebbonk, especially when she decided to go swimming in the canal. I had to lift her out, it was the middle of winter and we were both soaked.

I got an almighty telling off, and was left on the doorstep wringing wet. The dog, on the other hand, was treated to a towelling down, a fireside seat and her favourite treats. For about a week afterwards, every time I came into the room, Mrs Rebbonk made disparaging comments such as, "watch out my baby, the nasty man will get you all wet again!"

Margaret

Was she chasing ducks?

Reminds me of the time we took an uncle's dog, a springer spaniel,to the beach with us, she didn't go in the sea but she went in deep rock pool of water and we had a job getting her out, her bum was a bit heavy, hehe! Everywhere she went , through the glens she would find a stream and walk in it. I have very fond memories of her and my uncle and aunt.
    Poppy,(the dog), would sit with her head in your lap and look up at you with those beautiful eyes of hers as if she was lonely and never petted, ahh, the sweet memories, I loved that dog.
    Last edited by Margaret; 09-04-2014 at 06:27 PM.

rebbonk

Oh yes, it was ducks!

It was like something out of Tom and Jerry. She stalked the ducks, they watched her then calmly jumped into the canal as she got near. She had no chance of catching them, but then she decided that if they could swim, so could she! It really was quite funny, until I arrived home and got a telling off!

Oddly enough, the previous dog we had chased a canoeist along the very same stretch of canal. He was a bit easier to haul out once he was tired and the canoe had passed.

A very sad day today. I went to the funeral of a friend's wife this afternoon; they'd been married for over 40 years, and my friend looked like his world had ended.

rebbonk

Lex, I used to find funerals upsetting and depressing. Then someone suggested that I ought to look on them as the celebration of a person's life. - It made one heck of a difference.

As we get older, we do attend more funerals, but looking at it this was has helped me immeasurably.

Mind you, I still get upset at youngsters' funerals.

I still see funerals as saying 'goodbye' to people and do the, and that's probably why I get upset!

Pillar of the Community

Lex, I am sorry for your sadness and the loss of your friend's wife.I am sure he's knocked for six and it makes the point we are never ready to let go of our loved ones. Whilst Funerals are about celebrating someone's life and paying tribute to them, a funeral is a very final ' goodbye ' because that's it. Its an abrupt end to what we all take for granted until we realise it happens to us all eventually. The fact that You'll never see them again as you do in life. That to me is the harsh truth and the sadness all of that evokes. The death of a young person seems an unnatural course of the event of life and the opportunities stolen from them in their death is just wrong. I guess there is also that unseen thing that is intangible. The fact that whilst one person can live beyond 100 years and yet another barely lives a few hours or not at all. How does one person get a near miss in not boarding that plane and then those that did all die? The saying ' when your number is up, its up' rings true for me and there's nothing you can do to alter it except live each day and appreciate the people you have in your life to the fullest.

Nothing much of interest seems to be happening in Warwickshire of late (at least, nothing of note seems to be making its way to the local papers' websites); does anyone have any local gossip to share?