Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

The Avon at Stratford had risen when I drove over the Clopton Bridge just after 5.00, but doesn't seem to be in danger of breaking it's banks yet.

As an aside, someone pointed out to me a few years ago (when I was on holiday in New Zealand walking along an Avon on South Island!) that everyone in Stratford calls the waterway 'The Avon' or 'The River', but never 'The River Avon', basically because the Celtic word for river is 'avon'. I never realised until then, that's exactly what I did!

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    The Avon at Stratford had risen when I drove over the Clopton Bridge just after 5.00, but doesn't seem to be in danger of breaking it's banks yet.

As an aside, someone pointed out to me a few years ago (when I was on holiday in New Zealand walking along an Avon on South Island!) that everyone in Stratford calls the waterway 'The Avon' or 'The River', but never 'The River Avon', basically because the Celtic word for river is 'avon'. I never realised until then, that's exactly what I did!

Thanks for that Lex.

Makes me think of old Middle English words, that were basically lost at the reformation, but are English words with a very long pedigree behind them.
    Stratford for example, was known up until Elizabethan times was known as as Stratford - atte - Avon.
    The famous example of a Chaucerian word or expression which has now completely disappeared , is y ecleped, meaning , called. So you would say, he is ecleped John.
    A worker was called a 'swinkler' .
    Just a few I remember reading.

It's a really interesting area.

Thankfully, it looks like the rain's finally moving on, and we can start drying out tomorrow.

Not too sure Lex. We have rather a nasty weather warning over the nexrt few hours. - I sincerely hope that they're wrong about the thunder.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

It's been ok around the Stratford area today; how's things been up your end of things?

Not been bad over here at all. The sky is currently bright red, so I'm expecting a good day tomorrow.

Almost as soon as I finished my last comment, we had a brief downpour. Looks like it's going to be dry over the next 4-5 days.

I spent a part of the afternoon in the local pub garden. I must say it was quite pleasant, but around 4.00PM it did start to cool a little.

We have a problem with ants at present, we have spray etc .but they have come back, husband has gone to get some ant gel, which they didn't sell in the local shops so he has had to go back into town.

I read that mixing some sugar with bicarbonate of soda gets rid of them. So I shall be making up some of that too.
    Last edited by margaret; 29-06-2019 at 07:33 PM.

A bit of trivia I learned recently is that ants are related to wasps and bees.

Nippon works wonders, but wipes the colony out.

I read yesterday of someone having problems with ants getting on to her narrowboat, interesting advice as you have already got it Margaret but I'd never heard of it...

If you haven't pets onboard where ever the ants are visible sprinkle icing sugar mixed together Baking powder.
    The ants will eat the sugar as well as the baking powder,

Little know fact Ants can NOT pass wind so when the baking soda gets to their stomach it fizzes up and pop

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Nippon works wonders, but wipes the colony out.

I read yesterday of someone having problems with ants getting on to her narrowboat, interesting advice as you have already got it Margaret but I'd never heard of it...

Yes, its Nippon we are trying to find. Non in Asda, Non local. So tomorrow have to go to Robert Dyas.

About the baking powder , and ants not being able to pass gas, I heard also the same with Pigeons, apparently they can't pass wind either, and that is why people feed them rice which swells up in their stomach and they go pop. Not sure whether true or not.

Well, it's back to work for me tomorrow after a week off; I'm not at all happy about it.

I remember my last day like yesterday. I dropped the hood and drove out, hitting the Fosse Way towards home a few minutes later. It was absloutely magic. The feeling of elation and freedom has never left me. I truly hated that job at the end.

I did work for another organisation afterwards, but that wasn't like 'real' work even though it paid very well.

Never mind Lex, God willing, your time will come and you too can join the 'beer in the afternoon' club.

It's a long time in the future, but I'm looking forward to it.

Time flies Lex. I retired before I was 50, best thing I ever did.