Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily life over the garden fence chat.

I guess doctors become immune to feelings of sympathy , they are dealing with illnesses day in and day out. In a similar way nurses can become seemingly unsympathetic and matter of fact , when on the wards, as they have to just get on with the job and hide their feelings sometimes. But it doesn't mean they don't get upset inside. What used to upset me working on the wards, was if a patient died in the night without anyone with them.

Turning to the weather front, It is blustery out there, I think Storm Brian has arrived! Stay safe indoors everyone!

Last edited by Finebyme; 21-10-2017 at 08:18 PM.

It's a bit breezy here, but nothing to write home about. - We were right on the edge of the yellow warning zone.

I've got to walk the dog later (after the footy fans have gone home) so I'll hope it doesn't get any worse.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

It's been blustery down my neck of the woods over the last 24 hours - my loganberry & raspberry canes have all been blown down on my allotment - but nothing major. It's only just started raining in the last hour.

Oh that's a shame Lex, I hope you were able to rescue them. Did you get many berries from them, I love logan berries and raspberries.

My mum loves logan berries. - You don't seem to see them in the supermarket very often these days.

Well, the weather forecast was wide of the mark round here. A 'stiff' breeze is how I would describe things and it has just started drizzling.

I only got a few of each this year, but it was their 1st season in their locations on my plot (a friend gave me the raspberry canes, and the loganberry was moved from patch to another), so I wasn't expecting much anyway. I just took the opportunity to cut them back & mulch them in horse muck in readiness for spring a couple of weeks earlier than I originally planned.

Horse muck , I expect they will be delicious bumper crop next year!
    Last edited by Finebyme; 22-10-2017 at 04:47 AM.

I'm hoping for great things for next year. Already got my crops planned - runner beans (5 varieties), carrots, parsnips, suedes & spuds (I'm researching heritage varieties).

As well as these, I've got my 'permanent' crops - gooseberries, loganberries, apples (bramley & christmas pippin), rhubarb, red & black currants, and asparagus (which won't be ready to harvest for a couple of years yet).

These are my 2 favourite potato varieties so far, being good for most types of cooking:
    Violetta1.jpg Violetta

Shetland-Black-x-2.jpg Shetland Black 1923

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    These are my 2 favourite potato varieties so far, being good for most types of cooking:
    Violetta1.jpg Violetta

Shetland-Black-x-2.jpg Shetland Black 1923

I've never seen those varieties of spuds, have you tasted them. I am very fond of the American sweet potato, don't know why we can't grow them here.

I'd not come across them either, until I started looking into heritage varieties. Thought I'd give them a try as something a bit different.

This amused me, but I think it sums things up quite nicely...

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party

I think the Major of London is wonderful. He has brought in a new "T Charge" that will for £10.00 remove all toxicity from my car, whilst driving in London. Unfortunately once I go outside the T Charge area my car will once again spew out toxic fumes.

And there's more...

If you have a car that's toxic and you're rich, on business or use a firm’s car, this expense can be claimed on your tax as a business expense. So in one stoke The major of London has deterred all those scumbag lowlife poor people who pay their own expenses and saved up to buy a (Government) recommended diesel or cheaper car, from entering the exclusive clean air of Central London. This will no doubt be rolled out across the country when other authorities realise they can add to their depleted coffers using this scam.

On a seerius point I think everyone applauds genuine efforts to clean up our air, but please don't use dodgy air or too many vehicles to justify what is blatantly another tax on Vehicle Drivers.

r.u.seerius
    Please note the opinions above are not necessarily loony party policy and should be taken with a pinch of salt (twice daily)

After the week we've just had I didn't think things could get any worse. - Wrong!

I've just fielded a call from Mrs R's daughter. Mrs R's very elderly mother has been hospitalised and it doesn't look good.

What a bl**dy week.

Sorry to hear that Rebbonk.
    They say it never rains but it pours.

Quote Originally Posted by Finebyme View Post
    They say it never rains but it pours.
    Doesn't it just!