Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Traveller Sites in Warwickshire

cathidaw

I wonder what they'll do with their old sofas if they have a site near the racecourse in Warwick.When they had a site -unofficial tho'-- near the Richo Arena all their unwanted suites, sofas and armchairs,old cookers and stuff were very neatly arranged one night along the edge of the roadside.
    Not funny --but everyone was grinning at the sight-and audacity. I had a good giggle.
    The council removed it within a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    There's a link to the consultation document in the article; I'm sure plenty of people will have an opinion!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-22764136

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    The council removed it within a couple of hours.
    But we're paying for it and that's what rankles most of us. If these people left areas as they found them (like true gypsies, not didicoys!) there'd be no problem. In fact, the genuine gipsy is welcomed in many areas because they actually provide a much needed service.

cathidaw

I know we pay for it ---but it was funny to see it.

Default Travellers Move into Park

The PC brigade wonders why people 'discriminate' against travellers.
    http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Gipsi...ail/story.html
    Last edited by Lex; 05-08-2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: correction to 'travellers'

rebbonk

They aren't gipsies though are they? Tinkers, diddycoys maybe, but never gipsies.

A true gipsy respects the land and you can rarely see where they've been. They certainly don't leave rubbish strewn everywhere.

Don't forget the human and animal waste!

I've just come across a couple of letters from the Coventry Telegraph:

The shocking headline in Saturday’s paper (‘Ban all illegal traveller camps’) shows how low this council can go. Their heavy handed approach boasts they will banish travellers from Coventry forever.

The council’s claim that they have the “solution to the traveller problem” has frightening similarities to other extreme events from history.

Ironically I was in Kenilworth with my grandchildren on Saturday where the Kenilworth Horse Fair was taking place.

This annual event is a boost to the town as tourists and gypsies alike bring much needed revenue to the shops, pubs and other businesses.

while we were there we got talking to some gypsies who were riding a horse and trap on the High Street, and they were more than happy to spend time talking about their culture and traditions while my granddaughter patted the horse.

If we all made the effort to understand other cultures and lifestyles rather than whipping up hostility like the council has then the world would be a far better place.

I write in response to ******* ********* concerning hostility toward travellers .

** ********* believes if we took the time to understand different cultures the world would be a better place. I don’t disagree and Coventry has a long and proud history of welcoming people from all over the world who then become an integral part of our local communities and contribute something positive to our city.

Unfortunately, the only thing the travellers leave behind are piles of rubbish, human excrement and an absolute mess of our public parks and open spaces. It seems that we have to respect their way of life, without them needing to respect the public land they seek to destroy whenever they visit.

Story link: 'Student accommodation is badly needed for our excellent expanding universities'
    I will not apologise for urging the city council to take a tougher stance on travellers. There is a facility in Coventry for them to use without the need to use public spaces; they should use it or they can expect to be challenged each time they visit the city and to be moved as quickly as the law allows.

This cat and mouse game has to stop. We need to ensure that there is adequate space at the site we are legally obliged to operate for them, but there is absolutely no need for them to leave behind the mess they do. It is utterly disrespectful to local residents.

I've left the names out purposely (don't want any legal trouble!!)

Unfortunately, the respondent seems to have got the wrong end of the stick. The first letter was referring to actualGypsies, who - as far as i know - don't cause any trouble to anyone; whereas the Travellers are the ones who leave rubbish & human waste in out parks. An important distinction to make, I feel.

rebbonk

Spot on Lex.

True Gypsies are respectors of the land and you'll rarely see where they've been.

What we are infested with locally are tinkers and diddicoys. Basically these are nothing but spongers taking everything they can for free.

I'm of the mind that we ought take their property to recompense the local authorities for the damage and mess they leave behind. But I know this is difficult as proving ownership is difficult, if not impossible.

I've just reailsed I mistitled this thread; I meant TRAVELLERS. There's a lot of complaining about travellers; but what we need is a solution. Any ideas anyone?
    http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...neaton-9794080

Default Travellers Move into Park

I've moved all the above posts from the thread 'Gypsies Move into Park', as these people aren't Gypsies!
    Last edited by Lex; 05-08-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling

rebbonk

We already provide them with traveller sites, but they won't use them. - I guess it's down to cost.

My solution is to do what we do with car tax evaders... Take their property and crush it. Harsh I know, but I reckon you'd only have to do it a couple of times. It is wrong to leave local tax-payers picking up the bill for these neanderthals.

rebbonk

This story gave me an idea...

Salisbury Journal

Anyone got any blu-tak?

Controlled explosion on their vehicles? - They wouldn't come back!

Mmmm; I have an amount of blu-tak secreted in my desk drawer at work........

Stop giving me ideas Rebbonk!

rebbonk

Looks like the council are trying a different route...

Nuneaton News

COUNCIL chiefs battling prolific gipsy invasions will no longer be hindered by lengthy legal proceedings.

Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council is to take new measures to protect its land against traveller encampments.
    It will be interesting to monitor this and see just how effective it is. It really is time that positive action be taken against these sponging parasites.

It seem local councils can't just kick travelers off land where they're not meant to be; of course, the welfare of residents doesn't seem to matter
    http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/...avellers-7670/

I've merged all of the traveller threads, so the debate on this subject can be concentrated in 1 place