Thread: Council Elections

Default Council Elections

Will everybody be voting in the elections? I'll make the effort this time, as some of the candidates actually seem to be working for my vote (I usually don't get even a single leaflet)

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/elections

With less than a month to go, this is actually the first time I've seen/heard the local & European elections mentioned!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-eu-26978726

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-26977357

rebbonk

I shall be there with my black marker pen!

I might bother, BUT ONLY IF YOU CANDIDATES OUT THERE ACTUALLY BOTHER CANVASSING ME!

rebbonk

I can't remember the last time we had canvassers around here.

Getting information on the candidates can be quite difficult. I once emailed a Tory candidate and asked if he would put the local constituents before his party in the event of trouble. He didn't reply, he didn't get my vote either,

I haven't seen anyone canvassing, let alone flyers in my letterbox. Voting for someone automatically, just because they are representing the party you would consider voting for doesn't mean that the person represents or at least acknowledges and maybe takes up the concerns of the voter. I can't help but compare that to the arrival of Windows 8. Some will embrace it simply because it is Windows. Others will be unhappy because MS had assumed the like it or lump it way of doing things. Here it is, no choices this is what we think you should have, then, a third party comes to the rescue who listens and provides a very viable alternative.
    Cool

rebbonk

All I've see to-date is my voting card from the Council.

Speaking of which, mine arrived today.
    Cool

You've had that much?

The excitement's building and the polls are open! I was at my local polling station at 7.30 this morning to vote on my way into work. I was impressed that I actually heard from some of the parties asking for my vote in the European Elections (even though most of what they said was rubbish), but there was the usual pathetic lack of communication from the local council candidates.

The results are dribbling in, and the Conservatives & Lib Dems are getting a good kicking.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27531094

rebbonk

They are reaping as they've sown.

I really have no time for them, they've had plenty of notice of the public's feelings but have chosen to ignore it all, largely believing in their own spin and bull sh*t.

Good for Farage, perhaps this will be the wake-up and revitalisation that UK politics needs?

I think Sunday will be interesting.

Personally, I'm wary of voting for UKIP - they mostly just seem to come out with a lot of populist rubbish. Even though I'm in the same general area of thought as UKIP (ie the EU's a beaurocratic money pit), leaving the EU won't do the UK any favours.

rebbonk

Lex, I'm very wary of the whole UKIP thing. As I've said elsewhere, I see parallels here with the 1930s Germany. A charismatic leader, disillusioned population...

As regards leaving the EU, I don't believe it will (or can) happen, unless the whole EU is scrapped. Ted Heath (and my thoughts on him are unprintable!) stitched us up there back in the 60s.