Thread: Lady Thatcher Passes Away

Default Lady Thatcher Passes Away

Personally, I'm quite sad at the news as I had a lot of respect for Maggie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Pillar of the Community

I agree and feel the same. Her first term of office was superb in strength but the 2nd term I have to say she did begin to falter. She did many things many of which I am only now becoming aware of. Aside from being the first and one and only woman Prime Minister she did stand strong for the Falklands. (However, there were policies she instigated and not all were necessarily helpful- the present EU meat, farming trade is something I am told is amongst them. The horse meat scandal is an example that comes to mind. It may have happened as a result of this agreement in the shipping of horse carcasses to the EU or horse meat from the EU and that going into the making of ready made meals in the EU. The result was then shipped back here for our consumption.I could be wrong though.)

cathidaw

She was a great woman,and will certainly go down in history as great as Churchill.
    He too did many things which were not very wise.

Pillar of the Community

Yes, both amazing strong leaders whose names shall be remembered for a lot of very good things. (I wrongly thought MT was older than 87. She'd suffered poor health for a long time though which is sad. At least now she is at rest; RIP Mrs Thatcher.)

She was known worldwide. Way down under in NZ we all knew about the Iron Lady, the Falklands, the famous handbag, her battle with the EU for the UK share, the hard line she took with many issues. A woman who will be remembered.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Back in 1985 I wrote her a letter and got a reply. In her second term, I wrote another one but a civil servant signed it. From then on that indomitable power began to seem to falter. I still rate her though but find it sad others don't have the same view. There are so many negatives about her policies and actions being published. May be we need to reflect and look at that but it still shouldn't take away from what she did do.

Pillar of the Community

Freedom of Speach and standing up for Great Britain is what I see as Mrs T's legacy but in that I do think the furore about her in death is disrespectful. For example, I understand the miners may have a lot to be angry about and the effect her actions had on them and their families but it doesn't make it right to issue such vehement protest largely from people who cannot be old enough to have lived then. Yes, if Grandparents/Parents were affected then I see people could have issue but even still- shouting and raging in the street isn't in the spirit of Great Britain, Britain maybe. Do share and enlighten me if I am being short sighted though.

rebbonk

I had little time for Maggie, but I won't be disrespecting her in any way.