Thread: Olympics - The Opening Ceremony and General comments.

Pillar of the Community

Default Olympics - The Opening Ceremony and General comments.

Hi All,

I don't know what others thought of it. What I saw which was most other than I did miss HM's and Mr Bond's parachute entry. (wish I'd seen that bit)I'm not sure HM in a fascinator was a good choice. The show generally was very spectacular and a well orchestrated event of light, most of the sound(except Macka) and showmanship with meaningful story telling.

One very irritating thing was each announcement was made first in French and then in English.Err, excuse me but are we in England and are we the English hosts or have I missed something fundemental as to why this was done?

I did find some of the dancing a tad annoying though and the NHS sketch featuring GOSH seemed more like propaganda.

Sorry to fans in advance but I am speaking for myself. I don't wish to offend but once again Mr Macartney took a central role which I do find more than annoying because his talent has 'upped and gone ' or may actually not have been there in the first place. This is the point I decided to call it a day so he was switched off.

rebbonk

I didn't see it. - By design

cathidaw

loved the ceremony.
    Everyone looked HAPPY to be there-- everyone that is, except the Queen.After the James Bond thing which was alright I thought she could have SMILED at least once I liked her fascinater too but unfortunatelt it didn't match her GRIM face
    I also think we outdid Beijing. Theirs was all spectacle, beautifully done ,but what pressure upon those so called 'ordinary' Chinese with not a smile between the lot of them WHO WOULD BE GOING BACK TO THEIR HOVELS AND HALF A BOWL OF RICE..
    Who in their right mind asked Paul Mcartney to-- I wont say sing- he never could -- perform, but it was embarrassing.this elderly man who thinks he's Peter Pan and acts like a 14year old X factor wannerbe.( wonder if he paid them) David Beckham, last week said he couldn't sing--I bet he'd have done better than P M,
    Last edited by cathidaw; 28-07-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Pillar of the Community

Yes, HM did look tired, (which I am sure I would be at 86 years young) quite fed up if not at times stern and disapproving. It went on a long time and must have been very late for her when she finally got to her bed. Perhaps the ' french ' thing annoyed her too? She was up again the next morning dressed in blue and thankfully, no fascinator but smiling and looking much happier.

Beijing's ceremony was good but very calculated and exacted, almost robotic. Ours had a very human element built into it. I can't quite see that it is an olympics for all the people to enjoy because of the huge cost it is taking from the public purse.To actually be able to buy a ticket to see it in the flesh is not within the ordinary folk's means of which I am one.

Some one we know who lives along the route for the road cycling event was unable to get to work because the police had shut his road access off. He asked a policeman how he was meant to get out and was told that was his problem. Consequently, at short notice, he had to arrange the rest of the week off and has taken his family away. He is his own boss, so he can do that but what if he wasn't and couldn't? There will be a lot of people who will meet similar situations. I doubt they will be very impressed with the extent these next weeks are taking over our lives. I am told its 15 hours a day every day on TV for the next 2 weeks and then we have the Para-Olympics. No wonder, I don't watch much TV.

I have read the foregoing comments and decided to add some of my own....

I haven't yet seen all of it as I didn't get home from work until the point where the competing countries were coming into the stadium but of what I saw, I thought that the Queen even participating in the James Bond thing says something for someone though I am not sure whether it was those with the idea, those that presented HM the idea, the Queen happily entering into the spirit of it all or a combination of all of those things. The fascinator? It matched but perhaps we get too used to seeing her in bigger hats.

The closure of roads and the measures that residents have to undertake to do the things they need to do is difficult. What could have been the alternative? I have a young friend, wheelchair bound who sent a message saying she hated the Olympics because of the street closures which restricted her ability to get out. She had been wanting to go to Wales to spend time with someone close to her but has to go by special taxi as going by train from there could be very traumatic with all the changes. I noted the resident needing to get to work and finishing up taking the week off. Those of us not self employed would struggle with that at short notice, personally I don't choose to take annual leave at the busiest times of the year. So, if you couldn't take your car to work I would find commuting during the Olympics on public transport a nightmare. A bit of an awkward one that.

Of the bits I have caught up with I enjoyed the journey through time, the multiple Mary Poppins flying around, the appearance of Voldemort, Mr Bean and Isambard Kingdom Brunel and the Industrial Revolution.

The carrying of what looked like huge copper petals leading the countries was a mystery though I had heard they were relevant - later, all became clear.

Not knowing who was to light the cauldron was interesting as we saw the flame travelling on the Royal barge Gloriana and given to Sir Steve Redgrave. There was much speculation over who was to have the honour and then the secret was revealed...

The copper petals were part of the cauldron and there was one for each of the competing countries. The cauldron had 'stalks' and the copper petals were now mounted on the end of them. The flame arrived and was given to 7, young, promising athletes, each nominated by previous Olympic heroes. They each lit the flame and after the copper petals were alight the 'stalks' slowly moved upwards to become the cauldron. I have to say, that was magnificent.

The volunteers put a tremendous amount of work in and each will remember the day for the rest of their lives.

But...

Paul McCartney?? I am lost for words.
    Last edited by Shizara; 29-07-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

I was informed why the announcements for the games are in french. Its because of Baron Pierre de Coubertin. He founded the International Olympic Committee in 1894 and this became the Governing body of the Olympic movement. Their structure and actions are defined by the Olympic charter.