Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner today

Yesterday we finished the stew. It was very nice after a walk and a couple of pints.

Tonight, Mrs R is going to do sausage, beans and chips. For some odd reason she swapped eggs for beans at the last minute.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Casserole made with shin of beef for me tonight. Just put the jacket potato & veg in the oven to go with it.

Just had two days of Beef stew, dumplings and potatoes: very nice it was too.

Tonight will be Pizza and fries, tomorrow will be a roast pork dinner. - Hopefully after I've had a few pints in the afternoon!

Well, I braved the snow yesterday had a few pints and walked home to a roast pork dinner. - Set me up nicely to watch the TV, which turned out to be rubbish!

Established Member

Does anyone use a slow cooker?
    I had one a long time ago and didn't like it-can't remember why.
    2 months ago I bought another-a small one and don't know what I did without it.I have become a lazy cook over the past few years but now I am back to the delights of my mum's delicious casseroles and things.albeit with chicken -I have mentioned before , I only eat 2 legged meat.One chunk of frozen fillet of chicken starts it off.
    frozen ready prepared mixed veg is such good value too, (I pick out those hateful carrots) and I use pearl barley, lentils, couscous, and that new high protein stuff, quinoa for thickening without synthetic powders like highly salted Bisto etc..Also and lots of chopped onions which I confess to buying ready to use. It takes me half an hour to prepare for 2 days meals.I never know quite what it will taste like because the liquid I pour over it before switching on depends what herbs and stuff I mix into it. Good old fashioned food.
    Ready meals always on tap and good for certain visitors, especially little Grandchildren.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 27-02-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Established Member

My 2 squirrels in the garden have scampered off over the fence clutching those carrots I picked out last night and two chopped up pikelets..

I have a slow cooker Cathi. One of the best investments I ever made. When I was working, I could start with a roast on Sunday and adding to the pot would go through stews and curries as the week progressed. Saturday was wash it up day LOL.

I usually use pearl barley for thickening, but always find it tastes better (and thicker) on the second day. I'm not a quinoa, couscous or lentil fan: I will on occasion use cornflour though.

As regards herbs, I only usually run to adding a couple of bay-leafs these days as Mrs R has digestion problems with many of them.

Roast chicken for me tonight. Treated myself to a chicken from Barry the Butcher in Stratford. I've started going to butchers more after the meat on offer at the supermarkets started looking worse & worse - and they're not much more expensive than the chain stores.

Mrs R bought a large pack of pork steaks last week. We had a couple of them and they were very tasty. Tonight we're finishing them off. - I've already cooked them so they'll only need warming.

Totally agree about the supermarket meat though Lex. Not only is the quality generally poor, it's started getting expensive.

When we first moved here (25+ years ago) there was a farm butcher just down the road. Sadly, he's now gone. Decent butchers are few and far between, so if you find a good one hang on to him.

As well as Barry the Butcher in Stratford, there's another good butcher I go to in Pershore when I'm out that way - K&D Meats in the covered market.

Established Member

I'm having a go at dahl tomorrow,in my slow cooker.
    I like real stuff one gets in a good Indian restaurant .
    I may do one with chicken in it if this works.
    Looks easy and as I've said, I'm a lazy cook now.

10 minutes prep. before 'switch on'.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 12-03-2018 at 11:02 PM.

I think we're going to have a simple egg and chips tonight.

Established Member

My favourite meal.
    Even in a posh restauarant I occasionally ask for egg and chips--- much to their dismay sometimes.
    Cant stand food that is tinkered with.
    And -- Why do they call gravy ju? I don't like gravy very much but the name is gravy!!
    Also I hate it poured over my meal, which often happens. They dont listen even if you tell them first. I send the meal back and ask for gravy in a jug-or nothing,( although I'd prefer parsley sauce on my chips,but never like to upset them too much by asking).

I'm great fun to go out with I'm sure!!!
    Last edited by cathidaw; 14-03-2018 at 05:34 PM.

I cooked a shoulder of lamb at the weekend. We had roast lam Monday, curried lamb Tuesday, and tonight we have Shepherds pie. I must say, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm contemplating pork belly for the weekend - been a while since I've had any.

I think we've got Belly pork for Monday.

Tonight is chicken and mushroom with potatoes and veg